For me within a fresh HD install of V7.4.2 the package ntfs-3g isn't locked. Perhaps it's an effect of your method not to use only a single ovelay.What's the story behind Klaus K locking the ntfs-3g version, anyway?
.
Just curious; I don't think I have a problem, but...
I notice what seems to be an inconsistency between Knoppix's purposefully
locked version of ntfs-3g and the version which Knoppix's version of
GParted assumes is more appropriate. See the attached png.
I don't normally do much with my Win7 partition except store some isos
downloaded by Win7 there. I do that, because that's where I have a lot
of unused Gbs there.
What's the story behind Klaus K locking the ntfs-3g version, anyway?
Last edited by utu; 11-30-2014 at 12:07 AM.
For me within a fresh HD install of V7.4.2 the package ntfs-3g isn't locked. Perhaps it's an effect of your method not to use only a single ovelay.What's the story behind Klaus K locking the ntfs-3g version, anyway?
Could this have anything to do with what I observe? See KK's note at post #8:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30401-Text-mode-mounting-of-NTFS-volume-causes-XAUTHORITY-error?highlight=ntfs-3g
Thank you for your response, Werner.
I don't think my LiveUSB is the cause of the situation shown in the png.
Both my LiveCD & LiveUSB pass testdvd.
The same symptoms indicated for my LiveUSB occur for my original 7.4.2 LiveCD.
Using either the LiveUSB or the LiveCD:
When Synaptic is first called and ntfs is searched-for, it does NOT show ntfs-3g locked.
When Synaptic is then closed, re-called, and ntfs searched-for a second time,
it then DOES show ntfs-3g locked.
Either before or after calling Synaptic, GParted shows a warning triangle for the Win7 partition.
The symptoms seem to indicate GParted and Synaptic are using different ntfs-3g versions,
independent of my peculiar use of secondary overlays in my LiveUSBs.
One final clue is that my Win7 has never failed me such that I have ever felt the need
to re-install it, nor have I done anything like a filesystem check on it. It is possible
the Win7 filesystem may have some latent errors in it that bear on these symptoms.
I never feel comfortable tinkering with Windows, so I don't know how to proceed to
address the possibility that the ntfs partition itself is the cause of the symptoms.
I also have no idea whether KKs note about ntfs problems in Knoppix 7.0.5 and what he
did to 'repair' the situation bears any relation to my symptoms in 7.4.2 or not.
.
Using the same LiveUSB on a Win8 machine gives similar results, except
on Win8, sda3 again has GParted triangular warning flag, but since not
an ntfs partition, note is not ntfs specific.
Synaptic registers a locked version warning on ntfs-3g on first search
for ntfs on the Win8 machine.
.
Discovered bad clusters on Win7 sda3 and scheduled CHKDSK/F, after
which GParted no longer shows warning triangle for sda3 on Win7.
Synaptic still says ntfs-3g is locked, but that may actually be the
case. Such is no longer seemingly hinted as a problem by GParted, anyway.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$509.99
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99