Everybody but Klaus K.
He makes a point that making a CD version is extra work for him, and he wants to know if it's all that useful to anyone.
Some of us think it is, but it's surely a minor issue, given the DVD.
And you're right, I'll make my little KNOPPIX1 anyway, 'cause I hate recovering from a wiped-out read/write persistence file.
Cheers.
I prefer to think that Klaus just asked a sincere question. He is making DVD versions now and simply asked if anyone still wants CD versions. It is extra work to release both versions. If no one really wanted the CD version then there would be little point in making it.
But while it is extra work, it might not be much extra work, particularly if he just makes a minimal CD version with a few key things (like app-get) and then moves on to make an application rich DVD version. I'm hoping his next question will be: "rather than loading the CD version to 700 megs, what applications do users really want on the CD version for system recovery, remastering, or other uses that you see for a CD size release?"
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Here in England, and probably elsewhere to, we have a number political parties who would just love to be credited with the votes of the "silent majority". Unfortunately, for them, we only count those who are willing to take the time and effort to actually vote. I am certainly not an expert but I believe that's how democracy usually works philo.
p.s.
I would be happier, although i would still prefer a cd version, if i could at least find a link to this mysterious sort of basic version of releases that some posts have referred to, i.e. one that users can master themselves ... ideally for the latest, EACH latest, release.
I would really appreciate any help with this ... thanks for reading.
Last edited by Marv; 12-26-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: speeling & rubbish format
@ Marv (Post #24)
We only express views in this thread. This is a survey, not an election. We do not vote, Marv.
Last edited by philo; 12-27-2014 at 06:09 PM.
I totally agree philo. We express our own views, not what we would prefer others to think.
Also, although we may not be voting, a survey, like an election, also works on numbers,
i.e. the numbers of the one's who have views on a subject and would like to express those views so they may be taken into concideration.
Last edited by Marv; 12-27-2014 at 07:43 PM.
There are still personal computers with older CPUs which have USB 1.1 suport and CD-ROM drives only. For those systems, it does not make much sense to use the bootonly CD with a USB stick. Since it is always stated that Knoppix will run on old personal computers I would expect a Knoppix CD in addition to the big DVD.
The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me. I've had at least four such installations corrupted beyond repair.
The Puppy Linux USB flash installation, OTOH, which allows the user to utilize the usb flash media simply to boot with the linux loader, and then choose a configuration file and applications on any other medium, has been used by me thousands of times in several computers (as opposed to a few dozen boots with the fragile Knoppix usb flash installation), and I've only had on Puppy install go bad. I'd still be using puppy for 90 % of my online activity (as I have for several years) if it weren't for having to confine myself to a AMI UEFI crippled Asus laptop, for which I haven't yet found a way to boot puppy. Unfortunately, Knoppix doesn't do so well with it either. I can't boot from the Live-DVD (the BIOS simply doesn't recognize it as a bootable device), so I have to sneaker-net over to a non-UEFI Windows 7 PC in order to make a usb-flash install that will barely work (the AMI BIOS will not retain the boot priority settings, returning Windows to the top position automatically). Booting Knoppix has become a five minute exercise, and so I barely use Linux anymore, and instead work with the worst OS I've experienced since OS/2 Warp, Windows 8.x.
Again a unreliable posting as your others in the past and it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me....

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1
$49.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops
$39.99
Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB
$89.99