Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Run cups-config with the latest Firefox rather than native Iceweasel

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Run cups-config with the latest Firefox rather than native Iceweasel

    Good morning, Mr. Schultz! Hello, friends!
    I apologise for my long absence from the forum.
    I want to run cupsconfig (for the newer members, start->knoppix->Printer Configuration ) with the latest standalone firefox rather than the older version of iceweasel. I read the script of cupsconfig
    The link for "printer configuration" icon points to user/bin/cupsconfig.
    I read the file cupsconfig. Links to either x-www-browser or www-browser. The two linked files are links themselves. They lead further to /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser or www-browser.
    I have changed the start->preferences-> preferred applications with the browser as Firefox as a user. Didn't help.
    While the x-www-browser opens a terminal-based application, the other one tries to open the sytem's default browser Iceweasel. Since firefox is already running iceweasel can't run.
    Now, I could change the exec script in cupsconfig.
    I would rather want to implement the code for system-wide configuration. I could do sudo libfm-pref-apps. Actually, I have done it with success.
    But what is the best way to do it?
    Regards
    Last edited by rajibando; 03-09-2016 at 06:55 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You may use "update-alternatives" for system wide setting
    Code:
    su
    update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275
    Thank you, Mr. Schulz. I will try and inform you.
    I apologise for the typo while addressing a highly admired senior.
    ...
    Yes, I did. I read the output:
    There are 3 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).

    Selection Path Priority Status
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
    1 /usr/bin/chromium 40 manual mode
    * 2 /usr/bin/iceweasel 70 manual mode
    3 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode

    Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
    So I see there are four choices, but not Firefox Standalone.

    My next query will automatically be:
    Can I edit a link file?

    I tried vi /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser

    Appears to be a binary file. So do I delete the file and create a new x-www-browser link for Firefox?

    P.S.: nice tip! I will remember. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    "/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser" is only a simple symlink managed by the tool 'update-alternatives'; you can delete it and create a new one manually
    Code:
    su
    ln -s /xyz/firefox /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
    Use your own value instead of '/xyz/'. But next update may possibly overwrite this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    275

    Thank you, Sir!

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ...
    Code:
    su
    ln -s /xyz/firefox /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
    ...
    Thanks and regards,
    Rajib

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00