Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix login

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix login

    Hi,

    I want to avoid to be automaticately login under command prompt (when I boot with run level 1,2 or 3).

    What is the best way to do that ?

    --

    When I put noeject on the kernel boot prompt, the CD is eject (it shouldn't do that)

    --

    I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't see what I've to remove.


    Thank you help.

    Knoppix is a very good project .

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    >I want to avoid to be automaticately login under command prompt (when I boot with run level >1,2 or 3).
    >
    >What is the best way to do that ?

    Modify your /etc/inittab. I think you're looking for something like the following:

    # What to do in single-user mode.
    ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1

    ...

    # Format:
    # <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
    # 4 virtual consoles with immortal shells
    1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4


    You probably need to tweak the above, but that is the inittab modifications I made to remove autologin on the command line.


    --

    > When I put noeject on the kernel boot prompt, the CD is eject (it shouldn't do that)
    >
    Works for me....

    --

    > I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't > see what I've to remove.
    >
    I would like this too. After disabling xsession in /etc/inittab, I have had it reboot without pressing return, but I would like to know how to do it in combination with X.
    I suspect it's in the Knoppix specific /sbin/init? It's mentioned in /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt. If anyone finds the answer, please post it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    <previous post>
    I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't see what I've to remove.
    </previous post>

    I'm answering my own question here. I was right. There is a knoppix specific /etc/init. I moddified /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt(knoppix-reboot is a symlink of knoppix-halt) to prevent the use of the knoppix specific /etc/init. I commented out a couple lines to look like the following:

    # Note: This needs the KNOPPIX version of static "init" which contains
    # the "halt" command plus rmmod/umount calls
    FINALCMD="/sbin/$command"
    #if [ -z "$INSTALLED" ]; then
    [ -x /etc/init ] || cp -p /sbin/init /etc/
    [ -x /etc/init ] && FINALCMD="/etc/init"
    #fi

    This prevents the "Press return" message. However, I don't know what the further ramifications of this are. I have not noticed anything amiss as a result, but there is more than "Press return" in the knoppix specific /etc/init. Maybe someone closer to the project could elaborate?

Similar Threads

  1. Can't login at XServer Login Window
    By torbu in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM
  2. Can't login to Debian login screen
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
  3. getting kdm login from booting knoppix CD
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:24 AM
  4. getting kdm login from booting knoppix CD
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 10:12 AM
  5. knoppix login
    By benmayim in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00