Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: how to connect thru VNC

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    how to connect thru VNC

    Has anybody been able to use vncviewer (on windows) to run another X session on knoppix?

    I started vncserver on knoppix, but when I login using vncviewer on windows, I am able to connect fine but I get a blank desktop with no way to start programs. Aren't I supposed to get a prompt?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    Apparently the blank desktop I get is the TWM window manager, because of the crosshatched background and mouse pointer... however I don't get any kind of menu when I click either mouse button (which is how I've seen it done on a different linux version of TWM). How can I get this window manager to give me a prompt?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    have you set a password?
    Code:
    vncpasswd
    you can specify another window manager (including KDE), yes I've done it with Knoppix before, don't remember offhand how to do it exactly - check out the documentation on either the realvnc http://www.realvnc.com or tightvnc sites http://www.tightvnc.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    yeah I had set a password, that was how I logged in through the vncviewer. I'll have to research how to change the window manager I guess.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    that backround is just plain X to start kde type kde3

Similar Threads

  1. how to connect..?
    By valkyrie in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 12:09 PM
  2. Connect to LAN
    By cschilbe in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 07:06 AM
  3. can not connect under 3.4 or 3.6 but 3.3 works
    By amigaman2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:20 PM
  4. can't connect to the net
    By sebke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
  5. How do I connect?
    By CrashedAgain in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 06:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00