-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
drekidd
So.. it seems it could be the DHCP of my Router versus my corporate switch on Linux (works in Windows remember!)..
You're right, it could well be your router conflicting with how Linix expects DHCP to work. Now that you say this I recall that over a year ago I tried a real hunk of junk Belkin wireless router on my network. It never could DHCP properly with Knoppix on my notebook (not sure if I even tried it with the desktop), although the same computer works fine with windows. I could make it work by manually setting the IP and related stuff. The router had other problems and they were so serious I had to stop using it. They never did issue a firmware fix for it; Belkin replaced the hardware with v2 hardware and started upgrading the firmware for that, but left all of us v1 hardware users abandoned with defective stuff.
Three guesses if I or my friends will ever buy Belkin routers again.
So anyway, you very well may find that your router doesn't quite work for DHCP with all system (was likely tested only under windows and doesn't exactly confirm with the DHCP spec). There is precident for this.
If it's any comfort, I've also tried Linksys, SMC, Netgear, Nextlan, and Dlink routers, and the models I've tried have all worked fine with Knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By dundas in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-06-2010, 11:46 AM
-
By frenco in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
-
By k225yt in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM
-
By ForbiddenSword in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-31-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By master_b in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00