Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Remastering is a breeze, but linking to home...I'm confused?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Remastering is a breeze, but linking to home...I'm confused?

    I've remastered Knoppix 3.4 just fine, replaced mozilla with firefox and installed bits of database software, but I'm having a small problem and I must be missing something obvious.

    I'm chrooted into my remaster and have installed some software. The software is in /opt/foo and wants to set it's config files in /opt/foo/conf (which is read-only when we're on CD...and no I can't change where it puts it's conf files.) I want to make /opt/foo/conf a symlink to /home/knoppix/conf so I can change the settings at runtime and save them to a persistant flashdrive home, but for the life of me can't see how to do it. Even the venerable RTFM isn't helping...I suppose I could go dig around the scripts, but I'm hoping there's a simple answer.

    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    ln -s /opt/foo/conf /home/knoppix/conf

    Later you will remove /home/knoppix, but not before copying the contents to /etc/skel. So you have tow options- edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and make sure that conf gets copied along with other stuff when /home/knoppix is created from /etc/skel, or write your own startup script to copy /etc/skel/conf to home/knoppix/boot and set it to run in /etc/rc5.d

Similar Threads

  1. Confused
    By samhainbaphomet in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
  2. i errored and am confused how to fix it!. help!!!!
    By hogwash in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 04:14 AM
  3. Symbolic Linking
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:07 PM
  4. very confused....
    By poundsmack in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 10:02 AM
  5. Linking Knoppix with windows
    By Joutei in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00