-
Junior Member
registered user
X dies on updates
Greetings. I've been using knoppix 3.2 for about a year now on my Compaq 2105us; it's been my favorite linux distro to date. But it is not without challenges. I had tried going straight Debian, but Knoppix has superior hardware detection.
So, I get Knoppix installed on the hdd, but that doesn't give me perl-doc. No problem, apt-get install perl-doc...which fails utterly. So I read through the apt howto and some Debian faqs, where I get the sage advice to try letting dselect just do it's thing. This, in turn, downloads all kinds of stuff and breaks X. The reason I went with Knoppix instead of straight Debian is that Knoppix gets X working right out of the gate, whereas several tries at installing X (including building from source) failed under Debian on this machine.
Back to square one. I am about to re-install knoppix 3.2. Then I'm going to fire up dselect, but this time I'm going to tell it to put all packages on hold. And then I'm going to try to slowly, one app-plus-dependencies at a time, try to get perl-doc.
Unless some kind soul here has a better suggestion. All pointers welcome.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 29
Last Post: 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
-
By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By flatpooks in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
-
By ducman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:49 AM
-
By carpe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99