Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: cheat code "persistance" with hd install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7

    cheat code "persistance" with hd install

    Hello All,

    I'm curious about something...I am using Knoppix 3.6, and absolutely love it. I would like to install it to my hard drive. Here's my question: If I boot from the CD with specific cheat codes (knoppix26 dma alsa, for example), when I run knx-hdinstall, will the installation use those parameters? In other words, when I reboot from the install, will I be running the 2.6 kernel with dma and alsa, or will those options have to be configured by hand?

    Thanks!

    Josh

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Correction - I notice that knx-hdinstall is no longer used, rather knoppix-installer should be used now...I'm still wondering about the cheat codes, though. Anybody know?

    Thanks,

    Josh

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    In theory the cheatcodes used when booting should affect the install, but others have posted about alsa not working after the install even when the alsa cheatcode was used. Kanotix is a bit better at having alsa working. BTW, I think knoppix has dma enabled by default, so that you need nodma if you don't want it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that ALSA is used by default in kernel 2.6 so that you don't have to specify it as a cheatcode. (Many people have had problems getting it to work correctly after they installed Knoppix, however.) And like Markus says, I think Knoppix uses DMA by default, so you don't have to specify it as a cheatcode either.

    You can send any cheatcodes you need as kernel parameters in your lilo.conf (if you use LILO) or menu.lst (if you use GRUB). AFAIK you still have to put the cheatcodes you need there even if you install Knoppix.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    From my experience in installing knoppix, if you set your persiostant home up, when installing knoppix will copy those files along with the current configs.

Similar Threads

  1. Does cheat code "testcd" work with DVD?
    By ockham23 in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 11:02 AM
  2. Problems with "scanning" cheat codes
    By laughingboy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM
  3. watch out for the "tohd" cheat code
    By daveclem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
  4. Need help with the "alsa=" cheat code
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:52 PM
  5. apt-get problem "returned an error code (1)"
    By migross in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module

$5.00



Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram picture

Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram

$125.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90