Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix sound

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45

    Knoppix sound

    I can't get the system to play sounds.

    The player xmms plays .wav files etc ok.

    When I press the 'test sound' button in the KDE control centre Multimedia /sound System/General tab a (presumably right) sound emerges.

    However I cannot get the system sounds on the System Notification to play, even after selecting xmms as an alternative player. When games are running with sound, I get error messages about checking plug-ins and so on which are not very helpful.

    If I boot from the Knoppix live CD things aren't much better, I can get system sounds (window opening etc.) to work with the xmms player, but still games won't sound.

    Looking at the guide at
    http://www.tissot.de/cgi-local/view/...ion#Configurat
    I see mention of files like /etc/isapnp.conf which I don't have (and the K. CD install doesn't have).

    Any pointers to sorting this out? Is the basic sound there and the plug-ins need configuring (how)? These /etc/modutils/* files, do they really need editing (seems a bit daunting)?

    Regds, RM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I just had that problem. Check here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...588&highlight=

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45
    Thanks for the reply, all the things (permissions and settings) suggested in the thread are ok here.
    Useful tip on changing the external player though.
    What exactly cured it for you?

    Another thought strikes - have you got the ALSA driver installed?

    Regds, RM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    knotifyrc file. Did a search for it and opened it and edited it.

    [Misc]
    External player=artsplay
    LastConfiguredApp=Automatic Proxy Configuration
    Use external player=true
    Volume=100

    [StartProgress]
    Arts Init=true
    KNotify Init=true
    Use Arts=true

    I don't exactly know what the chmod 777 /dev/dsp did but I did that too.
    Hope this helps more.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45
    Thanks, a full reboot seems to have sorted out the settings a bit (strange a logout and login didn't); I can now play system sounds without external player and from my own account.

    So far so good.

Similar Threads

  1. Soundblaster Audigy and Knoppix 3.6 sound then no sound!
    By spitfire in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
  2. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  4. Maxi Sound Muse half channels sound
    By dobell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
  5. SOund BLAster 5.1 on Knoppix 3.3 no sound
    By ICE_STORM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$484.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99