Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to boot as Debian after copying file to harddisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    china_asia
    Posts
    4

    How to boot as Debian after copying file to harddisk

    I got a knoppix 3.3 cd and follow the suggest on the cd ,which
    told me to copy the /KNOPPIX directory to harddisk as hdinstall.
    The user home an user is also created. I boot with a grub for dos.

    After doing that I got a pretty good system except that it change
    my config file back to "de" ..

    So , how can I stop booting like the live cd and get a Debian like system?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well since you cannot change the compressed image KNOPPIX you must do an actual installation. Boot the cd (or the compresssed KNOPPIX from hdd will work fine as well) and run the installer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    china_asia
    Posts
    4

    I don't want to reinstall!

    My system work well except that it run autoconfig every time it boot!

    I thinking about editing the installer script ,ship the copy file step and
    so that it can config my system as a debian like install.

    Does any one had do it before?

    I had find some discuss in this forum simuler to my problem. But I am a newbe and not dare to edit the script so far.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    since you are booting with grub all you have to do is figure out how to change your grub start command to pass the bootcode 'knoppix lang=us' to knoppix on boot. In lilo this is done with an 'append=' line, I don't know grub but I'm sure it's possible.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: I don't want to reinstall!

    Quote Originally Posted by winglion
    My system work well except that it run autoconfig every time it boot!

    I thinking about editing the installer script ,ship the copy file step and
    so that it can config my system as a debian like install.

    Does any one had do it before?

    I had find some discuss in this forum simuler to my problem. But I am a newbe and not dare to edit the script so far.
    You are booting the compressed KNOPPIX image from hdd right? This is the same as booting the cd each time. Yes CrashedAgain is right, you can add lang=us to your boot line to get the English language environment however this is NOT a Debian like installation.

    If you only wish to change the language then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst Here is my menu.lst entry for booting the compressed KNOPPIX file from Kanotix. Yours would be similar.
    Code:
    title BH09-KDE-STATIC /dev/hda7
    kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=791 nomce alsa xmodule=fbdev home=/dev/hda7 myconf=/dev/hda7 hdb=scsi
    initrd (hd0,6)/boot/miniroot.gz

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    china_asia
    Posts
    4
    Thank you ,guys!
    Fallow you suggests , and some other docs I found with google,
    I edit the knoppix-autoconfig in init.d ,and chang the default language
    to en. It start with english now!

    But my aim is to chage my install to a debian like system. The system
    now I got as copying file to hd is a knoppix cd like system ,but not compressed , I think.

    I had found some topic on the forum just like my situation. But there's
    no answer. I will try agein and hold that somebody had serve it will
    give me some advice again.

    thank's for help again.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by winglion
    It start with english now!.
    great line

Similar Threads

  1. error when copying file
    By techz_boy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.1 -----copying to harddisk
    By ku637 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
  3. ISO file download vs copying ISO from CD
    By stevesr0 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 05:59 PM
  4. Copying windows System file
    By TMcGrath in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 10:41 AM
  5. copying a large file
    By igor_m in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50