Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

    After trying to install Knoppix to my harddrive, I found i needed to partition it, in doing so, i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!But I changed the filesystem to ext3 and now I can't write to it. also there's a strange locked folder on the drive called "lost and found" now. could someone please help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    After trying to install Knoppix to my harddrive, I found i needed to partition it, in doing so, i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!But I changed the filesystem to ext3 and now I can't write to it. also there's a strange locked folder on the drive called "lost and found" now. could someone please help?
    That when you shut down incorrectly and the computer searchs for lost files.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    ... i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!
    Most people would be really upset at this!
    If you can still do it, I suggest you partition to at least three partitions. One for operating system (4-5Gig) one for data and a small one for swap. That way you don't lose your data if you have to do an operating system reinstall.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    But...

    The problem is, though, that my hd is unwritable, thus QTparted doesn't work and nor does cfdisk. How can I make these programs work?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: But...

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    The problem is, though, that my hd is unwritable, thus QTparted doesn't work and nor does cfdisk. How can I make these programs work?
    What have you done to try to write to it? Sometimes the icons don't work, try 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'.
    QTparted and cfdisk (and Linux fdisk) will only work on an unmounted drive, running from CD QTparted should be able to detect, partition & format the HD without having the HD mounted.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: I CANNOT WRITE TO MY HD!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mimes
    After trying to install Knoppix to my harddrive, I found i needed to partition it, in doing so, i wiped out everything on my hd, WHICH IS OKAY!!But I changed the filesystem to ext3 and now I can't write to it. also there's a strange locked folder on the drive called "lost and found" now. could someone please help?

    ...

    The problem is, though, that my hd is unwritable, thus QTparted doesn't work and nor does cfdisk. How can I make these programs work?
    First thing, what did you use to write to your hard disk before? The one that apparently formatted your hard drive, thus wiping out everything on your hd, and made it ext3 formatted? ( and how did you do it before? )

    Second, you aren't trying to do any of these commands, programs; qtparted or cfdisk, with the disk mounted, are you? -=- be sure the drive is unmounted, you cant access a hard drive for partitioning if it is open, i.e. mounted.

    Third, you are doing these commands as ROOT, aren't you? The "knoppix" user, or for that matter, any user - other than root - does not have enough permissions to do these commands. -=- if your prompt says "knoppix", then do a su, this should make you root, from a CD boot of Knoppix. ( within a Konsole window )

    Hope this helps,

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    NEw, everything u need to know post

    I have made a brand spankin new post with all the information u need to know. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14863
    Thanks for all the continued help everybody. You all are what makes Linux go round and Microsoft stop!

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    YEaH

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! You all are great. I "zeroed" the HD, and made 3 partitions with QTPARTED. Now i can install to the hd. But, I am going to install Kanotix. Kanotix is better for HD install. If anyone has any rejections, please reply.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot write to / in any way
    By UDHA in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 12:26 AM
  2. I'm not able to write something!!!
    By wuschel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 12:51 PM
  3. How to write to USB HD?
    By tendril in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 09:59 PM
  4. Cannot write to HDs
    By tac in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 02:44 AM
  5. Cannot write to hd HELP!
    By Juggalo_X in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$483.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99