-
Senior Member
registered user
What was your worst PC disaster?
Or your most memorable one? The one that embarrasses you to even think about? What did you learn? Did you use Knoppix to fix it?
Here's my story.
One summer day in '92, we bought our first PC. I wanted a Mac, but the wife insisted. It came with Windows 3.1...and if you think Win3.1 was a dog, you should have seen Win3.0. Anyway, after we set it up, I sat down to play, and she left on an errand.
I knew next to nothing about Windows 3.1 besides how to use the GUI, and I soon uncovered an intriguing drop-down dialog that would let you change the graphics card driver (the list was in the form "Graphics card X - Screen resolution Y - Bit depth Z"). I didn't stop 'n' think about what might happen if I chose one corresponding to a graphics card that I didn't have...and soon I was staring at a black screen. The first day, and I've already BROKEN THE COMPUTER! What will my wife say?
I did what any newbie would do: Reinstall Windows. But that didn't help. And the wife was coming home. Tick. Tick. Tick.
I finally admitted defeat and called Microsoft tech support. The tech guy's name was Ray. You could tell Ray was an uber-geek because he said "DOT" instead of "PERIOD". He also refused to give his last name. Wise man. Who knows how many people would drive up to Redmond, look him up in a telephone book, and totally stalk him if he did?
Ray stayed with me past his quittin' time, and walked me through the solution. I was expressing my profound gratitude and saying goodbye as my wife walked in. Whew.
I've had worse disasters. One time Norton WinDoctor decided that all the COM/ActiveX CLSIDs in my registry were invalid and deleted them. Or the three separate occasions I tried installing LILO (once) and GRUB (twice) and ended up with an unbootable PC. ("Backup"? What is this thing you call "backup"?)
But that experience taught me a valuable lesson about how talented I am at screwing up computers.
Similar Threads
-
By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
-
By jpretti in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
-
By Jansch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
-
By el_supremo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:28 AM
-
By drg55 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial
$319.00