Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Here's how to use your Prism2 USB device with a WEP AP

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    Here's how to use your Prism2 USB device with a WEP AP

    I'd been looking for a way to use a typical USB Prism2 device with knoppix - esp. with WEP enabled (since most networks these days seem to have WEP).

    From the steps listed in the README, I could get nowhere, esp. with WEP, and the documentation was, as much linux documentation is for me, completely over my head. Hunting around here wasn't helping much either -- seems a lot of other people had the same problem. (Which is why I am posting this).

    All I wanted was a simple post-boot script that *just did it*, generically, with the minimum of special info needed. Obviously, I wanted no monkeying around with boot scripts. In a way, it was the missing piece for Knoppix, because to me USB is the only kind of networking that really fits the non-invasive, low-impact philosophy of the bootable CD approach.

    Well, thanks to Rudolf Mittelmann's kind sharing on his webpage, I now have a script that gets me 99% of the way. His page is at:

    http://artm-friends.at/rm/mylinux.php#atwm

    Another useful page:
    http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin...mp11-linux.htm

    His script, with just a couple characters changed to suit my understanding of the docs, is below. Note that to translate your WEP key to the 4 hex strings needed in the script, run

    nwepgen <put plaintext WEP key here>

    Incidentally, the last 1% I can't solve yet: I'm not automatically accessing a DNS server through the AP, like the device apparently does in Windows. Anybody know what I need to set to change that? I've tried netcardconfig, but don't really know what to set. Thanks if you have any info.

    #!/bin/sh
    # ws (wlan-start)
    # this script should initialize the GemTek WL-388 mini-USB WLAN module
    # [email protected] 2002-10-22
    # using linux-wlan-ng-0.1.16-pre6
    PATH=/sbin:$PATH
    modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_hostwep decrypt=true encrypt=true # for me this must be host-based encrypt.
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKeyID=0 # which WEP key to use
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11ExcludeUnencrypted=true
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11PrivacyInvoked=true
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey0=<your:first:key:g oes:here>
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey1=<your:second:key: goes:here>
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey2=<your:third:key:g oes:here>
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 dot11req_mibset mibattribute=dot11WEPDefaultKey3=<your:fourth:key: goes:here>
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=<your-ESSID-goes-here> authtype=opensystem
    #authtype should be "sharedkey" but that does not work for me
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.50 # your local WLAN IP address
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1 # route to your router IP address

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    I am using a prism2_cs card (PCMCIA card) with knoppix 3.6 and the same procedure has worked for me with a few changes:
    a.) If you boot linux with the 2.6.x kernel you will not have either prism2_cs or prism2_usb, so stick with the 2.4 kernel
    b.) For me "authtype=sharedkey" works, so I used this instead of "opensystem"
    c.) I only do the steps for the default key and do not worry about the others.
    d.) I use DHCP so I replace the last two lines of the script with
    Code:
    pump -i wlan0

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 03:21 AM
  2. Prism2 USB driver
    By Splood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:34 AM
  3. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM
  4. Prism2 Wireless Support
    By opel70 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 05:13 AM
  5. How to get D-Link 650 (or other Prism2 cards) working
    By nzou in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00