Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: problem with evolution wrapper script

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11

    problem with evolution wrapper script

    Hi,

    Just tried to klikinstall evolution in my wrapper. I got several gnome library-missing errors but I got the libraries from my mandrake installation and copied them to /home/knoppix/evolution/usr/lib and evolution started up okay. However, the application was installed in /home/knoppix/evolution, and the wrapper script is written to wrap the software from that path. This conflicts with the operation of evolution itself, which stores its config in ~/evolution, and can't because that dir is occupied. Changing the klik installed directory doesn't help, because the wrapper is written to operate from ~/evolution. I tried to make sense of the wrapper script but I don't know much about shell-scripting, so couldn't figure out how to edit it accordingly

    Can probono or anybody please guide me as to how I should change the wrapper to get it to work?

    Thanks,
    AR

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Hi,

    your post is extremely interesting for me because I was almost sure that Evolution was one of the very few apps that couldn't be made run with klik (because it uses gconf, which is a bloated mess).

    Just rename the directory ~/evolution to something else, the wrapper will continue working.

    In case you succeed (which I doubt due to gconf) please describe step-by-step what you did, then I'll try to follow your steps.

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Hi,

    your post is extremely interesting for me because I was almost sure that Evolution was one of the very few apps that couldn't be made run with klik (because it uses gconf, which is a bloated mess).

    Just rename the directory ~/evolution to something else, the wrapper will continue working.

    In case you succeed (which I doubt due to gconf) please describe step-by-step what you did, then I'll try to follow your steps.

    Greetings,
    probono
    That's exactly what I did first. It didn't work. In the beginning, evolution tried to start up, but a window opened up with an error message saying that the ~/evolution directory (where evolution stores the settings for the remote email server(s) and the downloaded emails, signatures and other miscellaneous config stuff) is not empty and evolution cannot continue (this was because ~/evolution actually contained the binaries of the app itself. So I moved the binaries, the libraries it depended on, and the wrapper script to another directory and ran the wrapper from there. Evolution crashed saying "evolution not found", or something. This is why I thought that perhaps the "wrapper" needed to be edited or something. I'll send detailed messages the next time I boot into knoppix.
    Anyways, I did not get any "gconfd" related errors, so perhaps the gconf issue you mentioned may not be a big deal. I'll let you know within 24 hrs ( I put a memo entry in my "korganizer" in casse I forget).


    Regards,
    AR

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11

    results of running evolution egain

    OK, so I booted into knoopix with my persistent home and did the following:




    Ran software & wrapper script from evolution directory:

    Error message: The directory '/home/knoppix/evolution' exists but is not the Evolution Directory. Please move it in order to allow installation of the Evolution user files.



    So I moved it to /home/knoppix/temp
    Ran ~/temp/wrapper


    Messages:
    (Killing old version of Wombat...)
    <Gnome-like Window pops up>
    Error:Cannot access the Ximian Evolution shell
    <Crash!>



    What to do? Is this because of the gconf thing you mentioned? (doesn't look like it, bcoz without the basic gnome libraries, the gnome window wouldn't pop up at all, right?)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    As of now, I still think the problem with both Evolution and gnumeric is gconf - I didn't get these two apps to work with klik yet.
    Greetings,
    probono

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    As of now, I still think the problem with both Evolution and gnumeric is gconf - I didn't get these two apps to work with klik yet.
    Greetings,
    probono
    OK, good luck with that. Hope you can come up with a solution. Perhaps a stripped down version of gconf that runs whenever evolution runs or something.

    AR

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Both gnumeric and bluefish are working now, and evolution is almost there, too (cosmetic glitches).

    However, you must run from Live CD, or your user must be in the "sudoers" file, or root must create a symlink in order to use any of those three apps.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot script to run my scripts?...PROBLEM SOLVED
    By sunburnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 Installation Script Problem
    By ibrewale in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 10:32 PM
  3. Wrapper for smbclient and smbmount
    By kuser123 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 12:58 PM
  4. evolution and fat32 problem
    By wutzin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM
  5. Evolution
    By MattT in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$483.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99