-
PLiz help! NuBy! need to know how I can have a login manager
Hiyall,
I've installed Knoppix 3.6 on my hD, Its running fine but I cannot add another user and I dont have a log-in manager.
It always goes to the default knopix user. I tried adding a user (which I did) but it still doesn't give me a choice who will log-in. Please help because I want to add my kids to have their own desktop and can only have their own file. Thanks in advance
-
Senior Member
registered user
In the menu under system there should be an option for user manager.
From there you should be able to add users and change auto-logins.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
whilst were on the topic of logins my knoppix keeps loggin me in as "knoppix"
how do i change over to root
also i dont know the root password thats suppose to be used
thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
in a console makes you root, or runs qtparted as root.
if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.
Not recommended.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
OErjan
if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.
Not recommended.
With Knoppix, if you really need to become root in a console all that is needed is 'su'; no password is needed.
But setting a root password IS recommended, it adds security and there are some things which will not run as nopassword root for instance 'kdesu'.
An example: If you expect to use your text editor to edit a lot of config files which must be done as root (eg perhaps you want to edit lilo.conf, fstab, XF86Config-4) to make it easier to use Kate as your editior drag'n'drop copy the 'Kate' entry from the start menu to the desktop, then change to appliction to run to 'kdesu kate' instaed of just 'kate'. This will start kate as root but you will be prompted for a password first and it will not accept a null password.
'sudo passwd root' will work to set root password but all that's required is 'sudo passwd'.
-
Thank you very much to all!
CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.
Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Drool King
Thank you very much to all!
CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.
Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).
Oh, you didn't do a debain still install, but rather, more of a PMI.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry, try this link instead.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=10
(It is the link from within the other post)
Note, I have not actually tried this, although I have a Knoppix-style install, I have no need for a different user. but I did run across the info & it looked like it should work.
Similar Threads
-
By reyesdb in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2006, 02:44 PM
-
By shplad in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
-
By linux_Fred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-23-2005, 03:23 PM
-
By italianknopfans in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By gmwest5 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00