Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: how to enable remote access using ssh

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    how to enable remote access using ssh

    I have the knoppix hdd install and i want to enable remote access to the computer using ssh. ( I want to be able to log on and access files and such from school). How to I enable this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Look in /etc/init.d for an entry named "ssh" (or similar -- I'm running from Kanotix, not Knoppix). It's the ssh daemon. To run it once, get root and type:

    /etc/init.d/ssh start

    To have it run each and every time you start your hard disk installed Knoppix, try (as root):

    update-rc.d ssh defaults

    (I'm not 100% sure that'll work, but it ought to.)

    If your home computer is behind a router that does NAT, you will probably have to open up port 22 using your router's configuration tools.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Perhaps off topic but make sure you have good passwords before starting any listening services that allow logins.
    If you have trouble making one up do: apt-get install apg

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    remote access through ssh is quite different from remote accessing files on your machine(though they could be related). With ssh, you can only use scp/sftp(quite primitive I would say) to pass files. It is more geared towards working on your machine remotely, rather than for accessing files remotely.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    As he said he's accessing it from school it probably means windows. Yes, no?
    If yes, WinSCP is a handy tool for filetransfers and works with ssh. A similar linux version might be secpanel.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    remote access through ssh is quite different from remote accessing files on your machine(though they could be related). With ssh, you can only use scp/sftp(quite primitive I would say) to pass files. It is more geared towards working on your machine remotely, rather than for accessing files remotely.
    For your info garyng, I work using ssh all day every day but I rarely use scp or sftp to copy files. To copy files I use rsync which is a brilliant tool and will work over ssh. Rsync does differential copying so you can copy/sync huge directories/files over the internet very efficiently.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    As he said he's accessing it from school it probably means windows. Yes, no?
    If yes, WinSCP is a handy tool for filetransfers and works with ssh. A similar linux version might be secpanel.
    Probably the most popular ssh suite for windows is PuTTY (free software). I used PuTTY for years (until I recently dropped windows completely).
    PuTTY comes with pscp.exe and psftp.exe which work fine.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    As he said he's accessing it from school it probably means windows. Yes, no?
    If yes, WinSCP is a handy tool for filetransfers and works with ssh. A similar linux version might be secpanel.
    Probably the most popular ssh suite for windows is PuTTY (free software). I used PuTTY for years (until I recently dropped windows completely).
    PuTTY comes with pscp.exe and psftp.exe which work fine.
    Sure but WinSCP is drag 'n drop whereas pscp is CLI. That said, I prefer sftp

Similar Threads

  1. perl - ssh script to access remote Cisco router
    By DouglasShannon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
  2. Editing dhcpd.conf to enable apt-get access
    By gordonbp in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 06:09 PM
  3. Remote Access Program
    By adamherb in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
  4. creating remote access CD for roaming users
    By mikesb in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:48 AM
  5. How to get enable read/write access (Hd Based)
    By buxus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module

$5.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram picture

Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram

$125.00