Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.7 does not notice my SATA HDD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 3.7 does not notice my SATA HDD

    I want to install knoppix to hard disk. I have a SATA 80GB Samsung HDD. Knoppix does not detect it. It does not mount the winodws partitions (i have WINXP pro on C drive and three other data partitions). I cannot see my hdd in devices when i try to run partEd. Pl. help

    thanks in advance

    jayan65

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    I had the same issue with a new Dell. I believe if you go into the bios and set the drive to "combination" it should find it. Cheers

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19
    I had the same problem couple days ago. People of forum helped. The solution is:
    1. Use Knoppix 3.7 AND
    2. Boot with cheatcode knoppix26 acpi=off
    (Don't ask me question why acpi, because I don't know the answer)
    Hope, you will see your hard drives. Now mount them (right click on icon > mount)

    Your thanks - to rolflist

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    let me try it

    Thank you friends. Let me try it. I had given hope almost

    jayan65

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13

    SATA and ICH6-R, almost there

    Please check my two posts on a new Dell (8400) and its SATA issues
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=71979#71979
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=72869#72869

    At the moment set the Dell to SATA/PATA combination mode, or
    find a kernel 2.6.10 or 2.4.29 or higher. It is possible to mount
    temporarily an ATA disk and configure/compile an new kernel in
    there, that will support the AHCI (ICH6-R) interface of the Dell
    Dimension 8400.

    If you are not that brave, try to boot the Dell 8400 with knoppix 3.7 in combi mode
    without any "cheatcode" parameter (for kernel 2.4.27), just as: knoppix
    or (for kernel 2.6.9) boot: knoppix26 acpi=off
    Yes, that easy.

    This worked for my Dell with one WD SATA disk.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    that worked



    Yes, I changed the SATA configuration in BIOS to SATA+PATA (i have amibios) (my motherboard is an ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe) and booted the knoppix CD with knoppix26 acpi=off and it picked up my drive. The partitions were mounted.
    I would like to install knoppix to hdd. I ahve made two partitions on the last partition using Partition Magic (one ext3 partition of isze 5GB and a swap partition 512MB )
    I think I will have to post the query for that elsewhere isn't it?

    Thank you all

    jayan65

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13

    reason Dell Dimension 8400 booting "knoppix26 acpi=off

    Swain Chen at http://lists.debian.org/debian-kerne.../msg00151.html reported for a Dell Dimension 4700
    "Using the acpi=off option would get me past the RTC and "Setting the
    Hardware clock..." steps but then I got some IRQ 193 error, which said "No
    one cares". "

    Tomaz at http://lists.debian.org/debian-kerne.../msg00596.html
    noted that the driver rtc.ko had to be removed from the kernel for getting a working installation:
    ".6.8, .9 and .10 (686-SMP and -UP) kernels all hang on rtc module during boot on Dell Optiplex G280 with A03 BIOS, 3.0 HT P4, SATA. When omitting the rtc module I was able to boot.
    Contrary, 2.4.* boots OK _with_ rtc module included"

    Further info http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/l...ber/023021.htm

    And what is RTC ?
    Explained e.g. here: http://www.linux.com/howtos/Battery-...powermgm.shtml
    RTC stores time in GMT (CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT): If you want to store GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) in your RTC (Real Time Clock).
    Advanced Power Management (APM) allows your computer's BIOS to control your system's power management.
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) is the successor to APM, which places the responsibility of power management away from the BIOS and into the hands of the operating system. ACPI Linux is newer than APM Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Automatic notice of new program versions?
    By carlbeech in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM
  2. Knoppix & SATA?
    By Alterscape in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 02:35 AM
  3. How can I see a SATA HDD in Knoppix 3.4 ?
    By bloopsys in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 10:03 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 SATA
    By Visivicous in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
  5. Anyone Notice This?
    By jirah in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00