Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Persistant Config problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Persistant Config problems

    Hey guys,
    okay. I have been beating my brains out for the last 3 days trying to get my wireless card working. When I boot it up, it detects it and clearly identifies it (SMC EliteConnect 802.11b SMC2532W-B) but says that it is "unsupported". I know that it has the Prism 2.5 chipset on it and I'm trying to get the prism2_cs to bind with it. My question:

    I have a USB pen drive that I created a persistant config file on but when I load from it (knoppix myconfig=scan), it still will not allow me to edit it so that I can save the changes. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

    -Turk30213

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    You say you edit something, and it wont allow you to save the changes...

    Could this file be the /etc/modules file ? if so, changes made in this file will not "stick", and will be overwrote by another file, each time you reboot...

    If you need to change the "modules" file, you should change the /etc/modules-(uname -r) file instead. During a boot, you can see that the boot will report Found hardware configuration in (some file) -=- where (some file) is this /etc/modules-(uname -r) file...

    as an example: ( for my install )
    Code:
    root@morpheus:~#
    root@morpheus:~# uname -r
    2.6.10-kanotix-1
    root@morpheus:~# ls -la /etc/modules*
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  800 Feb  6 11:25 /etc/modules
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  800 Jan  3 10:29 /etc/modules-2.6
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   11 Jan  3 10:29 /etc/modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1 -> modules-2.6
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  825 Dec 29 21:53 /etc/modules-2.6.8.1-kanotix-10
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 7976 Jan  5 12:52 /etc/modules.conf
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 8113 Jan  5 12:52 /etc/modules.conf.old
    root@morpheus:~#
    as you can see, from my install, the output of my "uname -r" command, reports that I am using "2.6.10-kanotix-1", and then the output of all my "modules" files found under /etc - that the correct "modules" file to change, would then be "/etc/modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1" -=- If I want to make any changes to the modules that are booted each time, changing the "modules" file will only be replaced by this "other" modules" file each time... So, I should change the "modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1" file instead...

    If you are trying to make changes to this "modules" file, then, you will not be able to "keep" the changes you are making, unless you change the correct file, for your installation...

    If this is not the file that you are trying to save, and change, then please post what file you are having problems with saving your configs with, and a little more information on "what", "why", etc... So that people can assist more on your issue...

    Hopefully, this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
  2. Problems with Persistant Home in 3.8.1
    By watar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 09:49 AM
  3. Config loading problems
    By ladymoose in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 02:14 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  5. Saving mozilla config to persistant hard drive
    By bruceg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module

$5.00



Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram picture

Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram

$125.00



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09