-
Senior Member
registered user
Samba server config tool
I am in the process of fully converting my existing w2k pc to knoppix.
This is suprisingly well on the way.
I can do almost everything I did on this W2K now on knoppix.
BUT..
sharing a folder,drive or printer form knoppix is real pain.
Isn't it possible to add next a Samba Server Config Tool with a GUI next time ?
(for example the KSambaPlugin : KSambaPlugin is a KDE 3 plugin for configuring a SAMBA server.
It consists of two plugins, a KControl Center module for all SAMBA
options and a Konqueror properties dialog plugin
for quickly configuring the SAMBA share options of a directory)
I think if you want to really use knoppix to replace windooze you've got to add this one.
Greetzzzz....
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is included in KnoppixKDE, the remaster by eadz. I also like it a lot. Please write a mail to Klaus Knopper and ask him to include it in regular Knoppix. But I guess there is no debian package yet due to debian's imminent stable/testing/unstable problematic...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
probono
It is included in KnoppixKDE, the remaster by eadz. I also like it a lot. Please write a mail to Klaus Knopper and ask him to include it in regular Knoppix. But I guess there is no debian package yet due to debian's imminent stable/testing/unstable problematic...
I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...
But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu 
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...
If there is a .deb, why not just send it to KK?

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu

http://www.stack.nl/~geertj/kde/kdesu.html says, "from now on, every KDE version will have kdesu built in" - so it should be already in Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
probono

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...
If there is a .deb, why not just send it to KK?

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu

http://www.stack.nl/~geertj/kde/kdesu.html says, "from now on, every KDE version will have kdesu built in" - so it should be already in Knoppix?
Hm, there is no .deb in unstable available. I could not yet test, if the woody-version works with unstable-kde ... Sorry, that was misinformation.
I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.
cu
Fabian
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.
But also include the normal version, knx-hdinstall should swap binaries then.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Fabianx
I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.
I see, you are a genius
-
I'm a relative newbie....I've installed and dumped many versions of Linux. But Knoppix is great! I love apt-get.
I have access to the printer connected to my WinXP box (LPT1) and a shared folder on same machine.
I used the kde print manager (with CUPS) and LinNeighborhood. If I can do it anyone can.
-
What problems?
I haven't had many problems with Samba setup on 3.1.
To get anywhere you have to ctrl-alt-F2 into root and set a password but after that things go ok. You have to add the connection lines to the Knoppix.sh file manually after you run a config, but it's really easy. The only thing haven't liked was the lack of boot login, but that could probably be fixed with a little more learning shell scripting. The neat thing about the .sh file is that it runs as root when it starts up! Any pre-setup you need dump in the file and it will take care of itself!
That said, I connect at work to another windows PC/browse network, as/400 shared folders, telnet to the 400 [no tn5250 in knoppix] , and use the network printer. I can also share/browse knoppix pc folders with the Windows PCs.
It took a bit of setup, but it starts up cleaner than the installed windows 98--all from a CD and Floppy!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Still no GUI samba config tool on last release of knoppix (10-04-2003)
Doesn't we all need this ????
Similar Threads
-
By charliet in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By npyang in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
-
By koselan in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:17 PM
-
By lhr in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 03:27 PM
-
By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00