Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: DamnSmallLinux and apt-get problem

  1. #1

    DamnSmallLinux and apt-get problem

    Newbie question alert:

    I am trying to remaster DamnSmallLinux:
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/index.html

    Mains reason is that I am doing it on a computer with not too much disk space 2.5 gig avialable) or memory (64MB).

    I have place a copy of DSL on the hard drive using these instructions:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1418

    My problem arises when I run apt-get <anything>. It gives an error, stating that it cannot find various files, the first one being /var/lib/dpkg/lock. When I creat this directory, which does not exist, the next error arises, this time about not having access to /var/lib/dpkg/status.

    Can anyone point me in a direction that is not into the ditches I seem to get into?

    Thanx!
    Steve

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    Hi Steve,
    You need to download the compressed /dpkg from my website.
    It's at www.damnsmalllinux.org/dpkg.tar.gz
    Just move it to ./(cloop)/var/lib/ and uncompress it. Then you will have to run 'apt-get update'.
    John

  3. #3
    Sheesh!

    Thanks John, I had read about that, but I guess the bio-ram refresh didn't too well!

    I'll get it right away.
    Steve

  4. #4
    That's working now - Thanx!

    Steve

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    apt-get

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cronje
    That's working now - Thanx!

    Steve
    Hi Steve, hi all.
    I'm trying to use a apt-get and I can't do it. I get the www.damnsmalllinux.org/dpkg.tar.gz and uncompress it on /var/lib and it doesn't work.

    Can Somebody help me?

    When I do apt-get update, the system doesn't connect and doesn't get the list of packages.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55
    Did you copy dpkg.tar.gz to /var/lib, then extract it? If that's not working, try downloading it again, or type "dpkg-restore" when you're connected to the internet in DSL.
    dpkg-restore will set up everything for you, but if you're manually extracting dpkg.tar.gz, you need to run apt-get update afterwards.

Similar Threads

  1. damnsmalllinux?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
  2. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  3. DamnSmallLinux & a USB Pen Drive
    By andywhitt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 10:47 AM
  4. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00