Hi,
I recently tried Knoppix 3.7 with kernel 2.6. It all worked fine.
After a reboot my Win XP SP2 system didn't boot.
I figured out that if i unplugged my iomega usb hd, the system boots correctly. I didn't change anything in BIOS (first boot device is hd0). If I plug in the usb hd after booting (to be more specific: right after the white Win XP progress bar), everything works fine. When I reboot, same problem: system doesn't boot until the usb hd is unplugged.
Any ideas? I googled all night yesterday and found many postings in forums with similar problems (no boot with usb devices plugged in), but none of the answers could help me.
As I pointed out, the problem appeared for the first time yesterday after I tried Knoppix.
rosid

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50