Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Problems changing read/write for hardrive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7

    Problems changing read/write for hardrive

    Hey,

    I am having an issue trying to change the read/write of a hard drive to write. When I try to, I get this message:

    The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently.

    I've rebooted and tried again, no help.

    Thanks,

    Newb

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't kow about a remount command but I've done it with the mount command (see man mount for details and the right switches) or by right clicking on the partition icon and using the actions sub-menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    This is what I did:

    right click on the hd>mount
    then,
    right click on the hd>action>change read/write thing

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yea, That has worked for me. Are you sure it didn't work for you? Did you try doing it with the mount command and the remount switch? Is there anything that you are not telling us about the drive, like is it a usb flash drive with a write protect switch? Or maybe an NTFS partition?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    First of all, sorry for the late reply. I forgot to set it to notify. Anyway,

    It is a hard drive. As in an 18 gig hardware device which perminatly stores information on a hard disc. I am sure that it didn't work, as it still says The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently. when I try to set it to write.

    Did you try doing it with the mount command and the remount switch?
    Is that using the actions sub-menu? I have only tried clicking 'change read/write' from the actions sub-menu. Any other way of doing it is unknown to me: Could you please explain?

    Thanks,

    Thunda 'Late is better than never(?)' One

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    26
    This is just a shot in the dark, but could editing the /etc/fstab file and inserting a 'rw' in the configuration for the drive fix the problem?

    I did that on my machine, but mine may have worked for me due to the fact that my persistent home is located on the same partition (which makes it read/write as it must write to the hard drive)

    I do realize that the fstab file is recreated after each boot(on a PMI install), but perhaps the edit that I did was saved in the configuration file. Again, just a shot in the dark.

    James

    Oh, also, could it be that the iso image is on the partition that you are trying to make read/write. I think I heard somewhere that you can not make the partition containing the CD ISO read/write, although this may depend on whether or not you have done a Poor Mans Install.

    Please note that it is always helpful if you provide more information related to your type of install and your hardware. For example, I run Knoppix 3.6 as a WinPartition poor mans install on a Dell Inspiron 3800 with a 10GB hard drive with 2 partitions, an NTFS partition for XP and a FAT32 for FreeDOS and the linux kernel/minirt files. Since my iso is on the NTFS partition, this partition is read/only.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    I understood a good 1/32 of that. Someone translate?

    I did get the part where I should describe what version, etc.

    It's not installed. It's still on live cd. I have to be able to read/write in order to install. The machine is a custom made, Soyo Dragon KT600 board, AMD 2800 processor, Radeon 64 graphics, and my hd was formatted with the linux disc. No windows installed.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    26
    Interesting...

    You're booting from CD and can't get the hard drive mounted read/write. You've tried right-clicking the icon and removing the x from the read only bubble I assume? Is that the "actions submenu"? I've had some trouble with Knoppix in that sometimes I have had to open a Root Shell and unmount the drive and remount it from the command line. Perhaps this is what you must do:

    Code:
    $ umount /dev/hda1
    
    $ mount -w /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    Okay, the -w will mount the partition as read/write. Note that the above example uses my first partition hda1. I don't know how your drive is partitioned, but you may need to adjust the 'hda1' depending on your setup.

    You should try the above code and see if that works.

    Hope this helps.

    James

Similar Threads

  1. Changing Read-Only Status
    By Hobe Schroeder in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
  2. Changing to read/write mode mounting Knoppix
    By kermitq in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM
  3. Changing USB install to read-write
    By raesene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
  4. Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'
    By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
  5. Help Changing Read/Write for NTFS in Knoppix 3.6
    By Krendall in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



KLA 0770891-00 ALTair KLARITY DEFECT SOFTWARE KIT V3.6 OEM ORIGINAL picture

KLA 0770891-00 ALTair KLARITY DEFECT SOFTWARE KIT V3.6 OEM ORIGINAL

$3933.62



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00