Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Swap Partitions

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Swap Partitions

    Kay, so I've got a fairly small amount of memory (256mb), small for what I want to do (run Blender 3d without having to wait a freaking hour to rotate the view 90 degrees). I've got a 500mb swap partition...I know these function kind of like memory (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd like to stick Blender onto the swap partition so it would run faster. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I believe you are confusing the swap space for something that it isn't.
    Swap partition or swap file in Windows, is virtual memory. When your tasks have filled the real RAM then the system swaps portions of the filled RAM to the hard disk, the swap partition or the swap file. This frees up some RAM so that you can do another memory intensive task and thus you have made the system use more RAM than what is physically available. See this site for Windows centric explanantion of swap & virtual RAM. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory1.htm. See this site for a more linux oriented explanation of swap partition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_partition.

    I've got a 500mb swap partition...I know these function kind of like memory (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd like to stick Blender onto the swap partition so it would run faster. Is there a way to do this?
    It is very unlikly that you could use place blender onto the swap partition as you describe in order to speed it up. Are you postitive that it is the RAM that is making the rendering take so long? 3D rendering can be RAM intensive but is usually just number crunching & requires more CPU as opposed to more RAM. Do you hear the hard drive thrashing & making lots of noise when you rotate the 3D objects? If so then that is an indication that you need more RAM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Look in "top" for X running with a neg "nice" value. If so, set it to "0".

    In a deb system /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config should have its' start up config.


    jm

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    Yeah, swap space is only for system use. In order for you to use it, you'd have to reformat the partition, changing it from type swap to type ext2 or ext3 or whatever - and then the system couldn't use it for swap.

    -- Ed

Similar Threads

  1. knop5 swap file config - says no useable partitions
    By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 01:36 AM
  2. undo swap
    By vartok in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
  3. Creating Linux and Swap partitions on a blank drive
    By pezz453 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
  4. swap partition
    By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
  5. Using win386.swp for swap
    By peterpasschier in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$729.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00