My guess is that you need the kernel headers.
Okay, I was trying to compile a modem driver from source, and I got this error message once I got to the make command:
I updated my GCC to the latest edition, and it still gives me that message. I did a file search and crt1.o doesn't exist. I looked through the makefile and there's nothing about crt1.o. What's wrong here?Code:$ make gcc kernel-ver.o -o kernel-ver /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o: file not recognized: File truncated collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [kernel-ver] Error 1
My guess is that you need the kernel headers.
Where do I get the kernel headers? As a Debian package? And would it work better with 2.4.26 kernel or the 2.6.6?
The headers should match the kernel you're running. You can download them as a deb. Use Synaptic -- it's probably the easiest way.
I can't use Synaptic or apt-get....If I could...I wouldn't be compiling a modem driver, now would I? Anyway...I found a buttload of debs at this site http://linux.org.by/debian/pool/ mai...ge-2.6.6-i386/ and downloaded some of them, but had no idea what i was doing and ended up finding myself in a long string of dependecies. Which ones do I need and which do I install first?
Ah, so that's what you're doing.
just do
uname -a
output on my box is:
Linux niglo 2.6.7 #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
but the 2.6.7 (or whatever) is the kernel you want the headers to match. You want the headers. For example (they match architectures) kernel-headers-2.4.27-2-686 if you were running 2.4.27 on a Pentium Pro/Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium III/Pentium 4.
I'm running 2.6.6 on an i686. I already knew that. But all those files are for 386 or 686...And I can't figure out which one to download.
686 is i686. The 386 will (probably) do if you've no better choice.
Did you look at the website? They're all 686 or 386...I know about architectures...But I have no idea which file to download first...That's the problem I'm having
kernel-headers-2.6.6-1-686-smp_2.6.6-1_i386.deb
should do it.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99