-
Senior Member
registered user
How to manually install to hdd?
Hi group,
I am thinking of installing knoppix 3.2 to hard disk.
My understanding, though, is that the knx-hdinstall
script won't allow fine control of the partitioning.
I'd like to have separate root, boot, usr and var partitions.
Has someone amended said script, or is there a faq
somewhere on how to do this "by hand" with knoppix.
I am familiar with linux, and comfortable with the
command line, fdisk, mkfs et al.
Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
This should be on the CD if not it is on Knopper.net knoppix FAQ
Q: Can one also install the distribution from the CD onto a hard drive?
A: In principal, yes (after all, the "master" system also runs on a hard
drive before it is burned to CD). However there is currently no
installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably
only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users. Assuming the KNOPPIX
system has already booted, installation approximately follows this
procedure:
1.) initialize a free partition with the ext2 file system and mount it on
/mnt/knoppix, for example.
2.) cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/knoppix/
3.) set up /mnt/knoppix/etc/fstab and /mnt/knoppix/etc/lilo.conf for the
new system (Caution: symlinks in /boot initially point to the Ram
disk!), run lilo.
4.) mkdir /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix && \
chown knoppix.knoppix /mnt/knoppix/home/knoppix
5.) Reboot, try the system out, fix any broken settings.
(No guarantees.)
rock
-
The way I do it is very easy. Use knx-hdinstall. Then copy what you want to the other partitions. All you have to do then is a quick edit to the text file /etc/fstab. For example add a line like:
/dev/hda5 /home defaults 0 0
After rebooting this will make partition 5 be the /home directory. By the way I am not sure that it is exactly right because I am not on a Linux box right now; but it is really easy to figure out once you take a look at fstab.
-
I set up my partitions beforehand and then used knx-install without a hitch.
Q: Can one also install the distribution from the CD onto a hard drive?
A: In principal, yes (after all, the "master" system also runs on a hard
drive before it is burned to CD). However there is currently no
installation GUI for this, so installation to a hard drive should probably
only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users. Assuming the KNOPPIX
system has already booted, installation approximately follows this
procedure:
Is that from an old FAQ, because when I ran knx-install it had a (curses) GUI, and I as a Linux n00b found it very easy to install, simpler that the red-hat installer, which i failed to finish
-
I am a complete neophyte. But the CTL-ALT-F1 followed by knx-hdinstall worked like a charm for me.
Actually it gives me more than I can handle at thois point; how can I install it EXACTLY like the CD, with the addition of ROOT?
Similar Threads
-
By LRutker in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 12:50 AM
-
By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By nimuex in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:39 AM
-
By takamine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 11:41 PM
-
By probono in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00