This sounds like it is having trouble mounting the home directories for the LDAP users. You will probably want to check your autofs config.
HTH,
Jacob
I've remastered Knoppix 3.9 to use xdm at boot and authenticate users via ldap. User home directories are mounted with autofs over nfs. Everything works fine if I start knoppix with desktop=icewm, but with kde I'm running into problems. When I try and start a program like konsole it will freeze just before the prompt is displayed. I also have the sshd running. When I try and login after konsole is locked, I'm able to put in my username and password, then it hangs. However, if I ssh in before the user logs into xdm, it works fine. Some programs continue to work fine though, like the konqueror browser. Everything works fine if I log in as the knoppix user, which I have given a password.
I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks.
This sounds like it is having trouble mounting the home directories for the LDAP users. You will probably want to check your autofs config.
HTH,
Jacob
I just changed the home directory to point to /tmp/username, and still the same problem. Also xterm and konsole work fine in IceWM.
Thanks.
hmm... Sorry. I guess I don't know enough about KDE and LDAP then.
Jacob
Turns out it was kmix that was causing things to hang. I removed /usr/bin/kmix and did a ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/kmix, now things work fine.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99