Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HD install 4.0: openoffice and samba does not work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    4

    HD install 4.0: openoffice and samba does not work

    I have installed knx 4.0 on HD in beginners mode.
    It looks quite good, but openoffice and samba do not work.

    starting Openoffice, it works for a while and then it dies silently whithout showing any response.
    Looks like something is missing

    Samba-server starts, but the second window asking if all drives should be shared r/w does not
    appear. So in WIN only the workgroup and the Server shows up, but no shared drive. How can I call
    this window?

    The Linux partition has a size of 19 GB and the swap 600 MB

    Any hint to fix this?

    regards
    rudolf

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Your problems with a HD install in not unusual. Read the HD Install Howto and see why we recommend to not install Knoppix to the HD. And if you so choose to install Knoppix to the HD, see also HD Install: Types of installation for why the Debian method is the preferred method.

    For a visual walkthrough of the Knoppix 4.0 HD install (which I personally do not recommend) see http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/k...-other/knop40/

    **EDIT** You will probably not see much help unless someone else also has a beginner HD install of the 4.0 DVD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    4

    Thanks for your reply

    First of all I tried the Debian type, but I felt myself thrown back into the stone age'' . Nothing is installed, just the kernel.....
    No help for installation (YAST?)
    I am not the command line freak and I am Knoppix fan because this fine and intelligent Hardware detection works really fine
    and helps me to overcome the pitfalls of learning, searching and doing all that hardware and driver configuration.

    I kicked away SUSE cause it left off to much questions after installation. For what I have to know which Graphic chip I use when knoppix is able to detect it? Knoppix is the evidence that all this detections are possible..
    The live CD/DVD if knx works nearly perfect and I do not understand why the same comfort should not work on HD?

    I have the strong feeling that for the experts it is a matter of honour, not to use the automatic detections and to clicki-clacki
    all that stuff for yourself. The same reason for that some people do not want to drive cars with automatic gearcase.

    I just want to work with Linux, not to research it!

    Nevertheless I hope that someone in the forum will understand me and can give me - I think - some simple hints.

    Thanks in advance for that

    Rudolf

Similar Threads

  1. HDD install works but OpenOffice won't load?
    By Crazydude in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 12:42 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 02:42 AM
  3. Getting SAMBA to work on an HD install
    By dosdragon in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 02:46 AM
  4. OpenOffice 2.0 Install: No Fonts!!
    By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 03:07 AM
  5. Install OpenOffice 1.1 RC3
    By vi.tan.gr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00