-
How do I use KNOPPIX cloop from compact flash (PCMCIA)
I read information about installing Knoppix with different methods, and was able to use Knoppix from HDD with its filesystem in CLOOP and all is okay, but now I want for cloop to be located in compact flash card.
To say, my compact flash is perfectly recognized as PCMCIA and working okay (with ide_cs and yenta_socket modules, presumaby). All devices recognized okay.
However my compact flash is recognized too late, so when CLOOP comes into play compact flash is not yet recognized.
I suspect a kernel should be rebuilt with yenta and ide_cs built-in and not as a *.ko-modules, but I'm not that far with playing with a knoppix.
It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?
Is there a way to resolve my problem?
Thanks in advance!
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?
Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...or_Remastering
However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.
-

Originally Posted by
ockham23
Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...or_Remastering
Thanks, looks promising, I will take a look.

Originally Posted by
ockham23
However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.
Well, it is mostly experimenting: I am curious to see how it will go withouth HDD (battery life, overall speed) ; but also I am planning to use my TC1000 tablet when continuously shaking, so it is preferrable to have HDD off.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?
-

Originally Posted by
ockham23
Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?
That's what I intended to check 
Yes, your reasons have many sence, I'll check it for heating...
Howerer knoppix cloop is R/O, and, probably I'll restrict my usage of this kind to watching MPEG4, so there will be only limited write operations. (and usually will be booting normally with HDD)
Thank you for advices!
Similar Threads
-
By wia in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
-
By yukichigai in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:27 AM
-
By monckywrench in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
-
By knewbex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM
-
By amontefusco in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50