Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I have lost my floppy drive...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    I have lost my floppy drive...

    This problem from a complete newcomer to Linux

    I am using the Knoppix CD very successfully and it is positively the best training tool for Linux I have come across yet.

    I have set up my Internet, email etc and I have saved the Knoppix configuraion to 'knoppix myconfig on one of my partitions. It is great to be able to boot from the CD and find all my settings appear.

    Somewhere along the line I have lost my floppy drive... I have an icon but when i click on it I get this message "Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/floppy does not exist".

    I know that by loading the CD without the config I will recover my floppy but it will mean reconfiguring all the work I have done.

    Is there anyway to fix my problem without resorting to a 'redo'

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I think that the knoppix KDE floppy icon is set up for the cd's automounter which isn't running after a hd install.

    Right click on your desktop, and choose "Create New" then select "Floppy Device", then select the third tab "Device" now from the drop-down choose: "/dev/fd0 (mountpoint)"
    mountpoint will differ on different systems, so just make sure to choose the device "/dev/fd0".

    now you should have a floppy icon on your desktop that works.

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: I have lost my floppy drive...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewen
    Somewhere along the line I have lost my floppy drive...
    Have you tried looking in the cabinet next to your desk?

    Anyways, the mountpoint for floppy is /floppy under Knoppix.

    btw, can you mount the device when logged in as root? Somewhere along the line of Knoppix3.2 they seem to have removed the user knoppix from the 'cdrom' and 'floppy' groups. How to add the user to the group is explained just some posts below this one.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31
    Thanks for the replies. I find that I can't make adjustments without the root password so I'll spend some time in the forum here finding out how to go about setting up passwords.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    try "sudo mkdir /mnt/floppy"

    to set the root password :

    sudo passwd root

    to become root:

    sudo su -

    ( or when you have set the root password )

    su -

Similar Threads

  1. Lost USB drive
    By NewGuy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 02:27 AM
  2. I've lost the drive I installed on, how to remove lilo?
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
  3. floppy and cd drive
    By stickycricket88 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
  4. i don't have a floppy drive.
    By talz13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:18 AM
  5. 0 byte file size and lost chains with 200GB firewire drive
    By eviscerate in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00