Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Anyone recommend modem + soundcard Knoppix 4.02 will detect?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Anyone recommend modem + soundcard Knoppix 4.02 will detect?

    I’m not one to ask for help, but I’ve spent the last 16 hours trying different Linux builds on my Dell 4700. Long story short, the only things they didn’t like were my Modem and my onboard sound.

    I found many useful threads here on making winmodems work, but nothing they suggested made my worked for my modem. I couldn’t get any drivers to work with my modem (which is a typical Conexant HSF winmodem) and the knoppix 4.02 winmodem compatibility thing didn’t work either. I see several modems on ebay that say they work with Linux (example), but I was just wondering if someone knew which ones Knoppix liked best.

    I decided I was going to build a new system from scratch, but then I realized, all I need is a modem and a Sound Card that will work with Knoppix/Debian.

    I cannot get any kind of highspeed connection where I live (out in the boon docks) so I’m stuck with a dial up. Thanks for the help in advance. I wouldn’t ask, but I’ve heard that Knoppix don’t like some sound blaster cards and I’ve noticed that even US Robotics is making some winmodems now, and just wanted to get some advice before I waste money on cards that won’t work. Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    40
    i'd suggest try external usb/serial 56k modems. however i don't know which ones are knoppix-compatible. i also have a winmodem on my home pc and knoppix 4.02 detects it, but cannot write the .conf file (forgot which .conf it is). i installed knoppix on another partition, but still the same problem. i hope someone can give us some inspiration about this. about the soundcard, my pci soundcard works fine for most linux distros (except solaris).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    I bought a USB modem a while back, no luck. I think I'll just buy that one that I linked to, if it don't work, I'm only out $20. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Any EXTERNAL, SERIAL modem, or limited number of USB modems - one example: http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132 :

    "Linux drivers
    Driver name: slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz
    Version: 2.9.10
    Linux Kernel supported: 2.4, 2.6
    Smart link products supported:

    * Riser: HAMR5600, SmartRiser56, SmartRiser561 - CNR/ACR/MDC/MiniPCI
    * PCI: SmartPCI56, SmartPCI561, SmartPCI562, SmartPCI563, SmartLAN56
    * USB: SmartUSB56


    The file contains the installation instructions.
    Installation instruction can be viewed also here"

    Knoppix doesn't support any winmodem "out of the box". You need drivers for them. There are distribution that does support some winmodems out of the box: Mepis (Lucent, SmartLink, maybe Intel536, not sure), Kanotix (you need to do a simple command though). There are some hardware USB modems, but I am not familiar with this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Sound Card

    I use an external serial modem from Best Data. Just about any should work.

    Sound card: Sound Blaster Live

    sakiZ

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sitting at my PC
    Posts
    10
    Hi-

    I have "on-board"- but it's a separate little set up that takes a PCI opening on the case (but not a slot).

    It's C-Media & has worked with every version of Knoppix.

    Tracy

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend PCI Modem
    By PlantPerson in forum Networking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
  2. modem and soundcard problems
    By lvraab in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
  3. Knoppix Cannot detect my modem
    By technolamb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. Help magor problems with modem and soundcard!
    By aquaxpillx108 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
  5. recommend external 56k modem?
    By agency in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99