-
Differences Between Knoppix HDInstall & Woody?
I've got an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon, which has been a sticking point on installing Debian 3.0 (Woody). I've tried many combinations and I can get Woody to install, but X NEVER worked w/ the card.
I did a Knoppix HDInstall and it worked great! No problem with the video card.
So now I have a few quick questions:
1) If I have used Knoppix for a HDInstall, then run apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade (as indicated elsewhere on this forum), what is the difference between what I am now running and Woody?
2) What does Knoppix do differently that lets X Windows work with my video card that Woody could not do?
3) The Woody Installer included a section where I could select modules for the kernel, which helped me, since I have firewire (for video transfer), and a USB ramdrive. How can I access a similar menu on Knoppix or get those modules added to my kernel permantly?
I used to program in assembler back in the early 80's, and was programming even before that, in high school. I'm not new to computers, but I found the Debian install VERY frustrating and, even with help, could not get my card to work with it. I am trying Debian because I've got so many friends that keep raving about it, but so far I can't stand it (except for Knoppix) because I can't even get X to work.
Then I decided to try a Knoppix HDInstall. Wow! It was easy, and went a lot smoother than installing Woody! I hope the Debian programmers and packagers are able to look at Knoppix and pick up a few things!
I haven't decided yet whether I'll keep this install (I can't get Blender to work -- it says it's missing some libs it needs, although Demudi is supposed to include Cinelerra, I can't apt-get it or find it w/ apt-cache search, and I still have yet to get ANY verison of Debian to recognize my ram drive properly or pass the test for firewire -- Mandrake 9.0 does all this), but I think the Debian folks can learn a LOT from Knoppix and the hardware detection.
Similar Threads
-
By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 16
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
-
By witkey in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:22 AM
-
By copymaster in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 10:29 AM
-
By hthb in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 09:52 PM
-
By rafiks in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99