I have just finished installing Knoppix 4.0 on my hard drive using the instructions in the wiki. I have been successful with the live version but I wanted a full install on my box.
I have Windows XP on the first partition of a single hard drive of 80 gigs. I installed a Linux swap partition of 1gig as my second partition. The third partition was 15 Gigs for the Knoppix install.
I can boot to windows just fine, but when I try to get to my Knoppix I get the following error message.
"kernal panic not syncing vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,3)."
I will assume that my kernel is not on that block (yea yea yea).
My Grub file reads as follows for the Linux section of the boot,
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.612 root=/dev/sda3 ro ### isk_size=100000 in initrd /boot initrd.img-2.6.12
savedefault
boot
actually my swap partition is the second partition on the drive. and the Linux partition is the third, it looks like it's looking at the swap partition for the kernal on (hd0,2).
Does this grub file look okay? Being a newbie I didn't like the looks of the "###" in this file.
Could someone please help. I'm just trying to rid myself of Mr. B Gates and company.
Thank you in advance,
Chip
I was able to get this boot working by removing the ### and making it read ro ramdisk.![]()

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99