Hi,
I booted knoppix on a Biostar TForce 550 motherboard with an onboard Marvell 88e1116 PHY gigabit ethernet nic and a PCI realtek RTL8169 S-32 card.
I had to add the following on the boot command line:
knoppix noapic (or acpi=noirq)
otherwise the screen would remain black and the system would not boot.
The realtek RTL8169 S-32 PCI card would have its LEDs blinking while booting but they suddenly stopped when the boot process reached "Starting udev hotplug hardware detection".
Anyway, neither one of the nics work. However, if I use older 3com cards I have network access.
I've had the exact same problem using the Gentoo distribution on the same machine. Details are in this forum post (please have a look at it as it contains more details):
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...+ethernet.html
Both chips seem to be "supported" by the linux kernel. Is it true?
Is it a udev version problem?
How can I solve this?

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
$280.00
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99