Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Networking not starting at boot up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1

    Networking not starting at boot up

    Hi All

    During boot up, the configs.tbz is read from floppy,
    Mesg 'setting up networking' appears, followed by '* /etc/network/options is deprecated...'

    I can not access my network until I go through Knoppix > Network/Internet > network card configuration
    All my previous settings appear and networking is started up and everything works. Any ideas?

    My options file reads:

    ip_forward=no
    spoofprotect=yes
    synccookies=no

    I'm running 5.1.1 Live CD

    I have spent ages trawling through the forum & how-tos
    All suggestions greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    If youre running the live cd then yes you will have to setup your network each time.

    If you have done a permanent HD install (not recommended for beginners) then you must install as either a Debian system, or beginner system, these will remember your configuration settings. The CD type install behaes exactly like the cd.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fort Wayne, USA
    Posts
    3

    manual setup required??

    I don't understand this:
    Quote Originally Posted by hal8000
    If youre running the live cd then yes you will have to setup your network each time.
    When booting knoppix 4.0, I don't have to setup anything....it works immediately. But 5.1.1 does require setup.
    Is this by design, or is this a problem I can fix?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24
    Hi, I'm also having problems with my knoppix load not auto-starting my network now. I've done the HDD install and never had a problem with the network card starting on start-up until recently. I had some ethernet cable problems and swapped out a faulty cable and now my network card doesn't auto-start? Any idea why? I never had this problem before? Now I have to go into the network config under the knoppix menu and run network card configuration to get on my network. I thought it had an option to autostart but I'm not seeing it anymore? Thanks for any/all ideas and help.

    Here's my version.
    Code:
    root@nuxbox:/home/james# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.12 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-7)) #2 SMP Tue Aug 9 23:20:52 CEST 2005

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8
    This is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like

    auto lo wlan0
    iface lo inet loopback

    allow-hotplug wlan0




    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_rate 54M auto
    wireless_channel 11
    wireless_essid XXXXXXXX
    wireless_key XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    post-up route add default gateway 192.168.0.1

    It now starts everytime!!

Similar Threads

  1. Boot hangs at "Starting udev..."
    By darrmik in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:06 PM
  3. How to stop KDE from starting at boot time?
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
  4. ksysv (starting services/daemons at boot)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:08 AM
  5. 'Boot' prompt when starting knoppix from hardisk
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 01:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99