-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Sudan
I am using "Konqueror" ont eh Knoppix machine. It is not working correctly...
As I said, I have not used Vista this way and wouldn't be shocked if Microsoft was doing things to make Linux not talk to it, but I've had on-and-off problems with filesharing this way even in older Microsoft OSs, that's one of the reasons why I suggested FTP and leaving fighting with Microsoft file sharing for another day.

Originally Posted by
Sudan
FTP: This sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where to start looking for info. Does this require a new third computer on my LAN? Or does "FTP server on the Windows system" mean I have to start some program running on the Vista computer?
Third computer, no. Some program running on the Vista computer, yes. Any ftp client (including Konguror, most browers as well as dedicated FTP client programs) talks to another program called an FTP server. There are many FTP servers that run under Windows. Filezilla is a popular free one, although there are many others and many are free or offer a limited time trial. Use Google to look for Windows FTP server or servers to find and choose between them. Install and run the FTP server, then connect to it with the client. Be sure you have set up the server to let the client store files on the server.
Also, if running a local firewall (like the one in Vista) be sure that you allow the other computer to connect. I don't use the Microsoft firewall, so I don't know if Microsoft makes this apparent or not. The software firewall that I use pops up an alert whenever it blocks unrecognized traffic and lets me know about it, but that seems a lot to expect for Microsift.
Similar Threads
-
By kermitq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 19
Last Post: 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM
-
By Needtoknow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
-
By Krendall in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:37 AM
-
By crveni in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
-
By Markus in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50