Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tablet PCs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    STL MO
    Posts
    3

    Tablet PCs

    Hi all, I'm new here. Been playing with Knoppix now for about 2 months. Really enjoying the hell of out it.

    Right now I'm trying to see if I can't get a Tablet PC I'm playing with to boot off of the Knoppix CDrom image from 20 May 2003.

    Right now, it recognizes the CD on boot, goes to the knoppix bootprom. However, after that when it starts to load it can't find the volume on which Knoppix is (the CDrom).

    The CDrom is an external plug in (Has to be, tablets are too small). It does see it long enough to allow initilization. The attached keyboard does function at the bootprom, but losses functionality when it starts the actual load processing.

    let me know what you need from me to figure out whats not talking.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    STL MO
    Posts
    3
    Wow, this is the most unresponsive web forum I've been to yet. Maybe I got off on the wrong foot, but I was asking for help not demanding.

    Not even one person asking what hardware to check compatibility to see why the hardware is getting dropped passed the bootprom. I was more than willing to do all the footwork and play with this to figure out why the devices stopped talking.

    Let me recommend the rest of you - http://www.pcqanda.com.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    The hardware you used is way too new for linux in general. linux shines on old hardware, desktop, has quite some problem in notebooks and tablet PC ?

    If you don't mind to pay the premium of tablet PC, you should use XP which is still miles better in handling state of the art hardware.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    It's not that this forum is unresponsive. Quite to the contrary I think. I think people have been unresponsive to your post simply because there aren't that many folks using the same setup you have. What cheat codes have you used? Have you tried using: knoppix failsafe? If so, what was the response?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    I have to agree - it's a responsive forum, but if people have never seen the hardware you're using then they are probably not going to have much to say. It's an interesting problem, but you are probably one of the first people playing with this particular hw/sw settup right now.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Tablet PCs

    --What kind of connection is the cdrom drive using, USB? If so, then the problem is that even tho the BIOS supports the cdrom, knoppix doesn't know how to access it with the standard scsi-emulation stuff when it starts up.

    --If you have 700MB free space on the HD, copy x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix and boot with the knoppix cd. You shouldn't have to use a boot floppy since the CD won't be detected; knoppix will find itself on the HD.

    --I warn you though, with tablet PC you're in uncharted territory. You'll probably have to play with the cheat codes to get it booting properly, and you probably won't be able to access some of the built-in hardware.

    BTW, how are Yakko and Dot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko
    Hi all, I'm new here. Been playing with Knoppix now for about 2 months. Really enjoying the hell of out it.

    Right now I'm trying to see if I can't get a Tablet PC I'm playing with to boot off of the Knoppix CDrom image from 20 May 2003.

    Right now, it recognizes the CD on boot, goes to the knoppix bootprom. However, after that when it starts to load it can't find the volume on which Knoppix is (the CDrom).

    The CDrom is an external plug in (Has to be, tablets are too small). It does see it long enough to allow initilization. The attached keyboard does function at the bootprom, but losses functionality when it starts the actual load processing.

    let me know what you need from me to figure out whats not talking.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    You might want to check this out:
    http://prometheus.physics.ucsb.edu/~...cerTmC100.html
    It was in a /. article today, the follow up might be useful too.
    Good luck

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I too have been watching for a tablet that runs knoppix (or is it the other way around?) I've seen articles about ubuntu and tablets for maybe help is on the way: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet Wonder if we will ever have a generic "white box tablet" that isn't as proprietary?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Check the date of post #7, Dave.
    I'm intrigued at this prospect as well.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    If you want to experiment with this today, the Google Nexus 7 is relatively hacker-friendly, and inexpensive. Hopefully, this year the first Tizen devices will be launched, and they should be closer to the "white box" we want. Also devices running Firefox "OS" could turn out to be easier to modify. I have no idea whether Intel-based tablets could be made to run PC-based systems like Knoppix unmodified, all adaptations I have looked into, have been based on Debian compiled for ARM. Tried running Debian under/with Android on a rooted, but otherwise unmodified Nexus 7, but I consider that verison mostly as proof of concept: Had to use vncviewer on the tablet for graphics display, for example.

    But, as I have written elsewhere here, I think Knoppix on tablets would be a very efficient way of running Linux on them. And most of the needed programs are already up and running there, thanks to the Debian port to ARM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. my wacom tablet works fine, but...
    By mcsweetie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 06:44 AM
  2. Wacom Tablet and Dvorak KB
    By WaldoPepper in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99