Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix and the Windows Boot Manager

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix and the Windows Boot Manager

    Hello. I'm trying to run Knoppix 5.1.0 off of the CD on my machine that has XP on one partition and Vista on another. I have the boot priority order set to CD, then floppy, then HDD (from highest to lowest). When I start up my machine with Knoppix in the CD drive it goes straight to the Windows Boot Manager, which seems wrong; then, if I choose either Vista or XP, I get a BSOD, but the system restarts before I can read it. I'd appreciate any help, and I kind of need to know this by tomorrow morning. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix and the Windows Boot Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Baiame
    ... When I start up my machine with Knoppix in the CD drive it goes straight to the Windows Boot Manager, which seems wrong.....
    Yup, it seems real wrong to me also. You don't give us much to go on. Does the system BSOD when you are not trying to boot Knoppix also? I can't imagine how it could not based on what you have said, but if it did I would expect you to have made that clear. As to the CD not booting, again without any details it's hard to know what is happening, but my first guess would be that the CD was not made properly. See answer #2 for details.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2
    Oh yeah sorry, couple things I forgot to mention:
    -the CD works perfectly on the WinXP machines at school.
    -I never get BSODs without the disc. It's the first I've gotten on this machine or my last.

    EDIT- Nevermind, it works when I power up the machine with the disc in the drive, as opposed to restarting (both work on the school computers). Can't believe I overlooked something so simple, but thankfully I managed to get in when I needed to. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Switching Windows Manager (back to KDE)
    By TMan63 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 09:26 PM
  2. Help using knoppix to fix boot manager troubles
    By Pelvis Resley in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM
  3. smart boot manager problem on windows
    By der in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 03:48 PM
  4. Using Windows 2000 boot manager?
    By Termina in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM
  5. Positive: Linux boot manager vs. Windows
    By Samsara in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



KLA 0770891-00 ALTair KLARITY DEFECT SOFTWARE KIT V3.6 OEM ORIGINAL picture

KLA 0770891-00 ALTair KLARITY DEFECT SOFTWARE KIT V3.6 OEM ORIGINAL

$3933.62



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00