-
PXE Booting Knoppix From Windows RIS
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to setup Knoppix on my LAN so that if needed I can PXE boot into a graphical recovery/test/forensics environment. We are a purely Microsoft shop so we use Windows 2003 RIS (Remote Installation Services). I have Knoppix to the point now where it boots from RIS/PXE but can't find the file needed to load the desktop environment. (see screenshot below)

The share is on a Windows 2003 server shared out using native Windows file sharing. I can browse to this share using a workstation not joined to the domain and I am not prompted for credentials so I know anonymous access to that share is working. Here is a copy of my pxelinux.cfg/default file on the RIS server:
default knoppix
prompt 0
timeout 30
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND secure nfsdir=//192.168.0.5/knoppix nodhcp lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
What am I doing wrong?
-
Oh, and I extracted the contents of the Knoppix CD (including the 700MB "KNOPPIX" file) to the shared folder noted above (\\192.168.0.5\knoppix), in case anyone's wondering.
-
Senior Member
registered user
According to the status message, you need to share the KNOPPIX files from the server by using NFS (Unix/Linux) file sharing instead of Microsoft Windows file sharing.
If you are Windows Server 2003 R2, you have a builtin option called "Microsoft Services for Network File System (NFS)" as part of the Microsoft Services for UNIX.
If you do not have Windows Server 2003 R2, you need to download the
"Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) version 3.5" for free.
Or you can boot a PXE server from a different operating system like Linux, maybe even from KNOPPIX itself.
For more information of NFS SERVER under Mircosoft, use Google or check out this Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...vices_for_UNIX
-
Senior Member
registered user
FYI,
That -13 error is an attempt to connect to the Win2003 box via the Windows file sharing protocol. It means that authentication failed for the attempted connection.
Google for
cifs_mount 13
for more information on the subject.
-
I have services for UNIX installed (v3.5) on the 2003 server. Here's how the folder is shared out:

Do I need to actually create a user account and password in services for UNIX instead of attempting anonymous access? If so, what is the syntax for supplying credentials in the pxelinux.cfg/default file?[/img]
-
Maybe a dumb question, but what if I just put the Knoppix CD in a drive of one of my Windows servers and shared the CD drive out? Would that work or is it still a limitation of Windows file sharing?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
jason331
Maybe a dumb question, but what if I just put the Knoppix CD in a drive of one of my Windows servers and shared the CD drive out? Would that work or is it still a limitation of Windows file sharing?
You might get it to work, but you would need to share it with file SECURITY permission EVERYONE = READ and also networks sharing permission EVERYONE = READ
-
The CD method didn't work...
I burned Knoppix to a CD, shared out the drive on a Windows server (non-domain controller) as well as an XP workstation with read access granted to the "everyone" group. Both times I still got the error mentioned above.
I'm pretty much a Linux newbie, but I do have an OpenSuSE box acting as an anti-spam gateway. What is the command to share out a folder on a Linux box and do I need to modify the pxelinux.cfg/default file any to connect to that? (other than the IP address, obviously)\
Alternatively, is there a way to provide credentials in the pxelinux.cfg/default file to connect to a Windows share?
-
Is there a way I can provide an HTTP location for the path in the pxelinux.cfg/default file? For example:
default knoppix
prompt 0
timeout 30
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND secure http://192.168.0.5/knoppix nodhcp lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX.dat
I tried this but it didn't work. It just get the following over and over no matter what I enter:

One item of note, I had to change BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX.dat and rename the "KNOPPIX" file because my IIS6 server won't serve unknown or extensionless filetypes. Could that be the problem with my file above?
-
I also want to boot knoppix using the ris. But I don't even get to the thread starter's point.
I need to know which files I have to put where, I found some tutorials and every tut is using a different method.
Please give me a tutorial or a walkthrough, how to set this stuff up.
Similar Threads
-
By delfin13 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
-
By Spartan 219 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
-
By world in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-08-2005, 12:37 AM
-
By tenlientl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2005, 06:45 AM
-
By xthaparian in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99