Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How would I upgrade Gaim to the latest version?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    55

    How would I upgrade Gaim to the latest version?

    How would I do that?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    Try the CVS

    Go to gaim.sourceforge.net and read about how to install cvs, I think they have nightly updates, and you can rebuild to the newest version any time you want. You might want to apt-get remove gaim before you mess with the cvs, also you should be familiar with cvs and compiling source to do this. If you decide not to use cvs you can still get the newest source and binaries from the page (I think cvs is undergoing major changes now) or you could always just try apt-get install gaim after you've removed it you may get a newer version but you'll probably lose your settings.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    55
    I didn't mean the altest develpmental release. I did try apt-get remmove gaim, the apt-get install gaim, but I got a dependecy(sp?) .

    Also, with the settining, it's setting are erased when shutting down, so

    What binnary form does debian use?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    24

    binaries

    you are going to have to compile from source unless there is a current binary in your apt cache, try this do an apt-get update then an apt-cache showpkg gaim look at the top and it should tell you what versions are avialable on the repositories in you apt.sources list. I you see .64 you should be able to get the newest version. If not I would recommend compiling from source, I have compiled gaim before and its pretty simple and quick. Either way .64 is the newest version so if you can't find a .deb package (these are debians package, sourceforge only provides .rpm for gaim it seems) then you will need to compile it, but it seems here that ftp.debian.org has the newest ver so apt-get install gaim should work (It worked for me, im using .64 but I also did an apt-get dist-upgrade so I may be running newer libs)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    yep it's in unstable ..

    [2003-05-31] Accepted gaim 1:0.64-2 (i386 source)


    just do:

    apt-get install gaim/unstable (on a rw knoppix ofcourse)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 04:24 PM
  2. Problem with WiFi and 3.3 11-03-2003 LATEST VERSION
    By andymadigan in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 05:41 AM
  3. Latest Version Won't Detect HD Partitions
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:35 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 03:20 AM
  5. Gaim Version?
    By Ian Tindale in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 05:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00