As root:
apt-get install automake1.6 1.6.3-6
Should do the trick. That's odd that it isn't installed. It should be.
I now have a hard disk installation of knoppix3.2.
I tried installing the drivers for my hsp 56 modem but in the "make" process I get an error stating that I don not have "automake-1.6-gnu installed".
Where to get this file or package?
As root:
apt-get install automake1.6 1.6.3-6
Should do the trick. That's odd that it isn't installed. It should be.
I solved it by reinstalling. I could have tried apt-get but I do not have a fast internet connection.
Perhaps there was a glitch in my previous install?
thanks anyway!

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module
$5.00
Cisco QSFP-40/100-SRBD 100G 40GBase BiDi 100m LC Transceiver Module W/ Hologram
$125.00
SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09