-

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
Quite frankly, I think you provide a good illustration of wrong ways to use Knoppix6.X.
There is no right or wrong. You may not like the way I use it, but that doesn't make it wrong. That just makes it wrong for you.
First, with grub, I don't have to perform that renaming game for kernels and initrds, just place them in different subdirectories.
Syslinux supports directories. I just don't want to use them. Whenever I have to use Grub, I prefer to rename as well. Actually, it's very unlikely this has anything to do with the bootloader anyway since the problem is long after the bootloader is gone.
We don't know how much those names may be hard-coded either
None. They wouldn't hard-code them. There is no benefit in doing so, but much harm in doing so. The Knoppix team knows better.
Second, it should be enough just to rename the KNOPPIX directory, e.g. to KNOPPIX644, and then use the cheatcode knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX644
Well, it has been a month and a half, but I'm pretty sure I remember having tried that and it just didn't find it. I'll try it again later, but at this point I've about given up on the whole thing.
Third, I try to minimize kernel graphics parameters, just using, for example, xmodule=nouveau, and doing the resolution adjustments in X.
Good for you. Parameters do exist to use them though.
I think you may easily shoot yourself in the foot heaping up graphics parameters like you do - the graphics stuff just isn't that reliable nowadays.
I need a higher resolution in the console regardless. However, I'm willing to bet that the graphics settings are absolutely unrelated to the issue at hand in every way possible.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99