Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Knoppix - dual boot with WIN7 Home on a Lenovo AMD laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix - dual boot with WIN7 Home on a Lenovo AMD laptop

    Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to re-partition a single drive in a lenovo laptop and install Knoppix in conjunction with Win7 home edition? I use Fedora as my only OS on my desktop, but I've looked at a Knoppix Live DVD and am very interested. Would like to try it for general purposes before a full HD installation. Thanks Brpy

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    First of all, let us know it there is an empty partition on the laptop.
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    (lowercase L!)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Werner - no, no empty partition - the hard drive is a 512 gigabyte job, all formatted to ntfs. I was hoping that Knoppix had the ability to shrink the windows partition to about 50% of the HD, with Knoppix being installed on the rest. If this is not possible, I should be able to do this through Win7, but would have preferred to let Knoppix handle the task.

    However, should I use a 3rd party utility to shrink the windows partition, will Knoppix be able to install to the new partition (I can, from memory, create a root (/) partition, a swap partition, and a /home partition), IE, can Knoppix create a grub installer which will recognise both windows and Knoppix?

    Sorry for being so long winded, but I didn't get a W7 disk with the laptop, and would prefer not to damage that OS at this stage.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You didn't answer my question - the output of "fdisk -l".

    Of course, you can shrink the Windows partition with "gparted" (within Knoppix) and install Grub.

    Doesn't offer Lenovo the possibility to burn 3 DVDs to rescue Windows7? Do it!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3
    Warner - thank you - sorry about the fdisk business, but I know there are no spare partitions on the HD. I'll initiate options 2 and 3 above now - though not necessarily in that order. Again, many, many thanks.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    As I know, Lenovo uses only three primary partitions: hidden boot partition, Windows partition and rescue partition. Therefore you have the ability to create a primary partition #4 and within this multiple logical partitions.

    If Lenovo uses four primary partitons you've a problem, but not insoluble.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Why the aversion to letting Windows reduce the size of the NTFS partition?

    My rule of thumb is to use the Windows tool to create/edit NTFS partitions and use a Linux tool (GParted) to create/edit Linux partitions.

    So in this case I would use the inbuilt Windows 7 tool to reduce the NTFS partition and create some free space. Then I would use GParted to create partitions for Linux in the free space.

    Why do I suggest this? Well, Microsoft do not release all their knowledge of NTFS and I am not convinced GParted developers have been able to glean it all with the confidence I require.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    I would use the inbuilt Windows 7 tool to reduce the NTFS partition
    Where do I find this inbuilt tool?
    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    In german version of Windows 7:

    Systemsteuerung => Verwaltung => Computerverwaltung => Datenträgerverwaltung

    right-Mouseclick on the partition you want to shrink => Volume verkleinern ..

    I never used it!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Danke, Herr Schulz.
    A handy fact to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00