Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Keeping up with the times

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Keeping up with the times

    .
    I notice some peculiar things about tz=localtime in my situation,
    where I keep my hardware clock set to local time, and I prefer to see
    this local time on any desktop I might be using. The Windows 7 desktop
    has no problem with this arrangement, of course. But on this same machine...

    My Knoppix 7.0.5 LiveUSB has tz=localtime on the APPEND line of syslinux.cfg;
    My Knoppix 7.2 LiveCD has tz=localtime on neither the DEFAULT line nor the APPEND line; and
    My Knoppix 7.2 LiveCD-size LiveUSB requires tz=localtime on the DEFAULT line.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    44
    Hi, @utu.
    I am using K 7.2 right now.
    I've got the local date and time on the clock by adding tz=localtime in
    /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg in the line APPEND of the section knoppix:
    APPEND lang=en keyboard=es xkeyboard=es apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greeting, Porteno.

    I don't know why adding tz=localtime to the APPEND line wouldn't work for me
    as it did in 7.0.5. I use a CD-size LiveUSB if that makes any difference.

    It should be noted that, should I want to use the command 'date', It assumes
    the value it is reporting is in UTC unless its given more FORMAT information.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schenectady , NY (USA)
    Posts
    7
    I installed Knoppix 7.2 DVD on a flashdrive. I also had trouble with the time. I read through the information posted by others.
    I editted this file on my flash drive ... k:\boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg

    In my original syslinux.cfg file , the following records appear at lines 17,18 and 19.

    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1

    I added "tz=localtime" at the end of record 19 , which starts with APPEND.

    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime

    then saved the file.

    I then restarted the computer , booting from the flashdrive .
    The correct time is now displayed .

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    With "cat /proc/driver/rtc; date" you can see the time of the BIOS clock and in the last line the time of your panel clock. I allways recomend to use UTC time within the BIOS and "tz=..." in the kernel line with your local parameters - for me "tz=Europe/Berlin".
    Code:
    $ cat /proc/driver/rtc; date
    rtc_time    : 17:09:13
    rtc_date    : 2013-09-11
    alrm_time    : 00:00:00
    alrm_date    : 2013-09-12
    alarm_IRQ    : no
    alrm_pending    : no
    update IRQ enabled    : no
    periodic IRQ enabled    : no
    periodic IRQ frequency    : 1024
    max user IRQ frequency    : 64
    24hr        : yes
    periodic_IRQ    : no
    update_IRQ    : no
    HPET_emulated    : no
    BCD        : yes
    DST_enable    : no
    periodic_freq    : 1024
    batt_status    : okay
    Mi 11. Sep 19:09:12 CEST 2013

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99