Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: "toram" and my persistence parition (7.2)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4

    "toram" and my persistence parition (7.2)

    Hi guys,

    I have been searching for additional info on the on how exactly the "toram" cheatcode modifies knoppix in the case of a flash disk install, but I cannot find anything.

    What I would like is to load my modified knoppix and all my programs into ram at start, i.e. the union between sda1 and sda2 (my persistence drive). What I guess is actually happening is that knoppix is only loading sda1 to ram, and any changes I make have to be loaded from disk as/when needed.

    Can anybody confirm how this actually functions, and advise how I can achieve my goal?


    ##optional read##

    Whilst I'm here have a few additional queries:

    1. Can I resize sda1 and sda2 partitions after they are made?
    2. Is there perhaps a better distro more suited to my goals:

    a. run inside portable virtualbox on sdcard
    b. all personal data and files other than basic clean OS are encrypted with a good encryption, preferably prompting for password on boot.
    c. no size limit on persistence
    d. capable of all running from ram to negate the speed and durability issues of sd card.
    e. small enough to run in VM with 4GB of ram


    im fairly new to linux so please forgive ignorance

    thanks,

    Andy

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    You can find all the info how does Knoppix use the cheatcode "toram" within the init-script of minirt.gz
    extract-from_init.txt

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4
    Thank you Werner, I will take a look.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4
    I read through that thanks, though not sure how well I understood it.

    I figure that since the mounting to ram takes place before I decrypt the persistence drive then it is impossible that any files within it would make it to ram. This is a shame.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxthail View Post
    I read through that thanks, though not sure how well I understood it.

    I figure that since the mounting to ram takes place before I decrypt the persistence drive then it is impossible that any files within it would make it to ram. This is a shame.
    I suggest you experiment with ordinary Knoppix and encrypted persistence before you work with the toram option. Might get a better concept of Knoppix shame from that. And "mounting to ram" and a few other things too.

    The ramdisk approach is quite viable nowadays: You could keep both the compressed DVD (cloop) image and 4GB persistent store in RAM and still have ca 8GB free on a 16GB system. Main obstacle is loading and saving time. Re media wear, reading isn't that hard on the card, so the cloop image could also be left on the card. Speed penalty is very much dependent on type of application.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99