You've forgot to tell us in detail, what you really did. And, have you studied "man update-rc.d"?.. there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link.
Hi, folks:
I just came across the mentioned problem while using a persistent overlay to do a mock test on my re-mastering procedure. Apparently, it works on KNOPPIX 7.2 as some messages were spitted out after executing this command in terminal, while on 7.4.2 there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link. Besides, by looking at the time stamps of the symlinks in the /etc/rc[0-6S].d folders, it seems to me that the existing symlinks were created during the mastering stage.
So, I wonder if the update-rc.d command only works in the chroot environment (in the context of KNOPPIX 7.4.2). Any pointers will be much appreciated.
ATB,
You've forgot to tell us in detail, what you really did. And, have you studied "man update-rc.d"?.. there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link.
Thanks for the reply, Werner.
Well... if I still remember right, reading the user's manual before using any piece of equipment is still one of the golden rules on my book. So, no worries, I got that part (man update-rc.d) covered. But I am wrong about the failure of spitting out error message when a non-existent symlink is being removed. Ideally, it emits an error message when an existing symlink whose target is still in place is about to be deleted; in fact, it never do so, regardless of the version of KNOPPIX.
Removing the virtualbox symlinks in /etc/rc*.d is actually what I would like to do. According to the man page of update-rc.d, it shall remove the named symlink, regardless of the existence of /etc/init.d/virtualbox, if the -f argument has also been given. To be crystal clear, the files (/etc/init.d/virtualbox) from VBox 4.2.10+dfsg-1 and 4.3.14+dfsg-1 are identical. So, it's unlikely that the content of the script causes the problem. To be more certain, all the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d are supposed to be wiped out by the following code:
It isn't surprising to see all the symlinks are still intact. So, it seems to me that the update-rc.d and/or its related scripts are where the problem lies. For some reason, removing symlink is the only thing it cannot do.Code:# with root privilege INSANE=`find /etc/rc?.d -type l | sed 's/.*[SK][0-9][0-9]//' | sort | uniq` for i in $INSANE ; do update-rc.d -f "$i" remove ; done
ATB,
I've tested it for myself, and yes, update-rc.d (part of sysv-rc 2.88dsf-53) within Knoppix 7.4.2 is buggy and neither the option "-n" nor the parameter "remove" works. Within Knoppix 7.2.0 there is sysv-rc 2.88dsf-41.
Many thanks for your time, Werner. The sysvc-rc shipped with 7.4.2 is KNOPPIX's own breed; I don't really mind the removal function isn't working , and just need to keep an eye on those folders and remove the symlinks after purging the packages.
--- Really Off Topics ---
To folks who have been following this thread:
Check out KNOPPIX's own repository for the patched version of xscreensaver if you are tired of the "very old" warning message.
ATB,
For people who don't know this server:Check out KNOPPIX's own repository
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....kages/?C=M;O=D

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00
HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
$280.00