-
Forgot passphrase of persistent knoppix-data.aes but know possible passwords!
Hello good people
I used to use a usb bootable Knoppix 7.0 with an encrypted knoppix-data.aes for online banking, bitcoin wallet and private docs and passwords, I tried logging in again after over a year but its not the passphrase I thought it was.
I urgently need to verify the password as there is a time limit to do with the issue another issue at hand (I can explain whats going on in a subsequent reply, but I wont lengthen my first post here).
The passphrase is a combination of shorter passwords I have used in the past and I know 100% the first password. I have successfully generated a dictionary text file with 600 combinations of the passphrase but I don't know how to proceed in trying them out automated, hashcat?
If I was to use hashcat I would need the password hash? I've searched but I don't have any idea how to obtain the hash from knoppix-data.aes
I feel pretty silly I thought I knew the password and now time is ticking, I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks.
-
update: I've been speaking to a couple of helpful people on irc and it was suggested I type I
while read pass; do echo "$pass" | losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop2 knoppix-data.aes && echo $pass worked && break; done < /your/password/file.txt
I did this and got the terminal to return workedr78977897 78977897 is not the correct password though
-
here is a script that I use to check and repair the file system in a knoppix-data.aes :
losetup /dev/loop7 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes
cryptsetup --cipher aes --key-size 256 --hash ripemd160 create cryp2knop /dev/loop7
fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/mapper/cryp2knop
sync
cryptsetup remove cryp2knop
losetup -d /dev/loop7
maybe you can use the cryptsetup in a loop similar to yours to use the password file.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99