Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Media support vanishing from Linux Mint

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Media support vanishing from Linux Mint

    Word posted on Slashdot today is that Linux Mint 18 will ship without Multimedia support (https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/...imedia-support). While details are provided on how to install multimedia support when installing Mint, I suspect that there are others like myself that like the ability to run Linux from a Live disc rather than being required to install it. Knoppix has let me down in this area for years, and now the last Live DVD that I'm aware of that still has native multimedia support is losing it. So if you use a live disc and want multimedia support, or just think that some day in the future it might come in handy, I suggest that you grab a copy of one or more of the Linux Mint 17.x ISO files while you still can.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    A clarification (I hope) about codecs missing in future Mint CD isos

    .
    Hello, Harry.

    I know you like to operate from a CD, but that is a self-selected restriction.
    I'm reasonably sure future Mints will include URLs from which cd users can obtain the necessary codecs.
    If so, LiveUSB, poor-man installs and other types will not find this a significant inconvenience.
    It surely will be more of an inconvenience to you than these other type of installations.

    I deal with this with Ubuntus most of the time where they deny me Broadcom wifi firmware that
    is available online. A nuisance for me which I overcome using an external plugin wifi that doesn't need codecs
    to download the b43 Broadcom firmware. Since I operate LiveUSB, that's about the only incovenience
    I have to suffer.

    This is to say only that the title on your post may be misinterpreted to mean that Mint might not provide
    information with which to get the proper codecs which it formerly provided as a convenience to users.
    What's missing is the former convenience of providing the codecs in the CD iso. Sad, but Ubuntu has been
    doing this for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by utu; 07-15-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00