Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: RFE: "bootrofrom= …" (boot read-only from) startup option

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168

    RFE: "bootrofrom= …" (boot read-only from) startup option

    there actually is a way to boot from an iso knoppix image which is mounted read-only (ro), namely: using the "forensic" startup option. You would, say, startup with the one liner:
    boot: knoppix64 no3d init 2 forensic bootfrom="/dev/sd"
    then on init 2 you go:
    mount | grep sd
    to get:
    /dev/sd on /mnt-iso type ext4 (ro,relatime,block_validity,delalloc,barrier,user_ xattr,acl)
    The problem with the "forensic" option is that then all other partitions are mounted write-protected, read-only. Or, how do you work around this? There should be a "bootrofrom= ..." option for those of us who want to make sure the knoppix baseline is not being altered and want to be able to easily check if that is the case. On init 2 you could always edit /etc/passwd in order to create and change user directories Since the Internet has become such a promiscuous environment in which "Russian hackers" are constantly messing for fun and profit every connected device, introducing such a startup option would be great. I don’t believe at all in antivirus software It shouldn’t be that hard. Probably just including menuentries in the grub2 loader? What may I be missing? lbrtchx

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    why do you make so hard properly formatting a message? Why can't poster not enter plain html?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    after noticing the corrupted formatting but I can't edit it at all

  4. #4

  5. #5
    I normally use the "forensic" option with a pendrive. But what I do is keeping some files/folders (new versions of tor browser, firefox and libflashplayer.so, checked with the sum when downloaded) zipped and encrypted in some folder inside my Knoppix with gpg (gpg -c --cipher-algo AES256 file.zip). So, I boot with knoppix forensic, write my wifi password and then decrypt those files (gpg file.gpg), remember that home folder is not read-only in that session. Every time I boot all is clean. The problem could be if my home folder (and so, my browsers and files) are hacked/cracked in that session. I avoid scripts (noscript addon) and normally I only use the browser, only some times flashplayer (yes, that´s dangerous), but if I want I can delete all the decrypted files and encrypt them again in that session. But it´s great to know that in the next boot (or if I begin the process again in the current session) all is always clean.
    Last edited by joselb; 12-23-2016 at 07:41 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    well, yeah I also:

    1) make the image file read-only
    2) make their attributes unmodifiable (lsattr chattr)
    3) resize the file system to its bare minimum (using gpated)

    but a boot ro from an image would be a great option

  7. #7
    I don't understand it very well, even if you boot from an image, using forensic option it will be read only, but it's impossible to use knoppix if ALL is read-only, some parts won't be that way. But the system part will remain read-only and protected in every boot. Maybe I miss something here.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    152
    The OP seems to enjoy his trolling.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    The OP seems to enjoy his trolling.
    http://knoppix.net/forum/faq.php?faq...eading_posting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00