-
Senior Member
registered user
How to set new user to be like default Knoppix user?
I know this is a recurring question but I did a search here and was not able to find a straight answer.
I did 'adduser' and after doing so was not able to connect to the internet without doing some tweaks to the dialup connection. After that, when I tried using konqueror was not able to go to sites because of 'host unknown'errors.
All this problems did not happen with the default "knoppix" user.
I already tried changing the groups (saw this suggestion in another howto) and made it the same as the groups of 'knoppix' but this did not solve the problem.
BY THE WAY, this is not my first HD install but a new one. My first was using 20030528 knoppix. Is this an issue with 0606 version?
For those who were successful in 'adduser' please post the steps you did. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere.
thanks!
-
I run into some of the same issues when I add a new user. Some of these issues include:
-No sound for the new user (it appears that I have to add the user to a sound group to fix this)
-Even though all settings are set to english as per other threads advice some apps like open office stay in German. This does not occur with the root or koppix user.
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
In addition to adding your username to /etc/groups and /etc/sudoers you may need to give your user permission to a certain device like so:
Code:
chmod 777 /dev/mixer
chmod 777 /dev/dsp
will for example allow everyone to access /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp
man chmod for a detailed explaination.
-
Senior Member
registered user
See my related post about user not able to browse web.
Similar Threads
-
By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
-
By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2004, 04:09 PM
-
By SunnyB in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
-
By wk in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
-
By bigdaddy in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 01:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00